cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Trunking & Etherchannel Over a Wireless Bridge

alyasrazzaq
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there, I have a question regarding Trunking and Etherchannel.

Let's say I have 2 2950's with 2 trunk links between them. Both trunk links are in a Channel group (either with or without negotiation).

No let's say I put a hub in between each of the trunk links (1 hub per trunk link). Would the trunk links still form and would the two links still be part of the same channel group?

If the above would work, would the same work if I replaced the hubs with wireless bridges?

The purpose behind all this would be to use Etherchannel to load balance between 2 sets of access points that are in bridging mode. If this isn't possible, then I may consider doing the load balancing at a layer 3 level.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

2 Replies 2

Wireless bridge between two switches with etherchannel works.

-> Sushil

I noticed the following on Cisco's site. The two main things from this seem to be:

- I won't be able to manage any of the 4 access points over IP? (Although, if I'm using 802.1Q won't I be able to get to the access points if their management IP is on the native VLAN subnet?

- PagP may be an issue. Although I could turn off the negotiation for this and just set it to permanently on?

From Cisco

-------------------------------------------

EtherChannel® is another technology that can be used to aggregate wireless bridges into a virtual single link. Using EtherChannel for this purpose is not recommended, however, as it is not a supported design by Cisco and the Cisco TAC. Furthermore, you will be unable to manage some bridges via TCP/IP due to the way EtherChannel works. The port aggregation protocol (PagP) is not a tunable protocol and failover support is limited.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps5279/products_tech_note09186a0080736199.shtml

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card