cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

TTCP speed in different directions

arell1234
Level 1
Level 1

I am troubleshooting some speed issues that I might be having and using TTCP and iperf/jperf. I am testing the LAN speed between our local router and local desktop.

When I run TTCP transmit on the Cisco and receive on the local desktop I get speeds right around 90Mbps, which I would expect because the switch between the Cisco router and the desktop is only 10/100.

When I run TTCP receive on the Cisco and transmit from the same desktop I only get speeds of about 24Mbps to the router.

The router is a 2911 wiht gigabit ports. The switch between the 2 devices is only a 10/100 switch, so I expect to only get around 90Mbps but 24 seems very low.

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Even though, the 2900 has multiple 10/100/1000 onboard ports, it doesn't mean you will get 100Mbps or anything close to that per port.  The 2911 fast/CEF switches 180.73Mbps for the entire box.

see below doc for more info:

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf

HTH

is there anyway to show what the current traffic is? show the pps or Mbps for the box? i dont think that we are anyhwere near the 180Mbps. We only have 2 interfaces enabled on the router and one is a WAN link with a 50Mbps pipe.

I also have no ACL's enforced on any interfaces at the moment, no traffic encryption or complression.

I know this is a rather old thread...

On a 2911 router with gigabitEthernet 0/0 LAN and gigabitEthernet 0/1 WAN (300Mbps internet connection), NAT enabled when we have disabled cef (no ip cef) the maximal IP traffic speed was arround 60 Mbps. When we have enabled cef:

ip cef

(no ipv6 cef )

the IP traffic speed was arroung 250Mbps-310Mbps on both upload and download

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

If you're using the router itself as either a source or sink, performance might be much less than what the router can do forwarding traffic.  Doubtful Cisco put a lot of effort in optimizing a router's TTCP performance.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco