Views
Helpful
Replies

udld enable vs errdisable detect

arunas.usonis
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

If I have configured errdisable detect all globally, would I need to configure udld enable in addition or is it overlapping ?

Thanks

Arun

2 Replies 2

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Arun

To some extent it does overlaps and the UDLD functionality can cause a port to move into errdisable mode. Especially if you are working on SFP or GBICs i would suggest to go ahead with UDLD as well.

For more info do refer this link

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk389/tk621/technologies_tech_note09186a00806cd87b.shtml

regds

Hi

Function of errdisable:

If the configuration shows a port to be enabled, but software on the       switch detects an error situation on the port, the software shuts down that       port. In other words, the port is automatically disabled by the switch       operating system software because of an error condition that is encountered on       the port.

When a port is error disabled, it is effectively shut down and no       traffic is sent or received on that port. The port LED is set to the color       orange

UDLD:

UDLD is a Layer 2 protocol that works with Layer 1  mechanisms to determine the physical status of a link. At Layer 1,  autonegotiation takes care of physical signaling and fault detection.  UDLD performs tasks that autonegotiation cannot perform, such as  detecting the identities of neighbors and shutting down misconnected  ports. When you enable both autonegotiation and UDLD, Layer 1 and 2  detections work together to prevent physical and logical unidirectional  connections and the malfunctioning of other protocols.

Therefore UDLD is definitely recommended

Regards,

Swati

Please rate if you find content useful.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card