Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to do show run Cisco 4507

Kiley Arena
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

I have a problem that has cropped up a second time in the last 6-7 months whereby I am not able to do a sho run (from enable prompt) on my Cisco 4507.  I can do other show commands but no sho run.  When I try and look at the nvram file where my running config is stored, I get a permission denied.  When this happened before, I moved the active sup to slot 4.  The sup in slot 3 has been the hot standby ever since.  Now that I have the same issue, it seems to rule out a flaky supervisor module (they are both sup 7Es).  When I did a show proc cpu sorted, the  switch was hovering at maybe 11% with, I think .9% being used for an iosd (?) process (I'm going off of memory here since I'm not at work right now).  My netadmins are rebooting the switch so I'm waiting to hear back on the results but I wanted to get this out here to see if anyone else has ever had this issue.

I've seen other posts for similar issues but not with the 4500's so I was hoping I could get some ideas on how to proceed.

Thanks very much in advance for any help, assistance, etc I can get.

Kiley

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Create a TAC Case with this thread.  I've never seen a behaviour described.  This is more and more beginning to sound like an IOS bug.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In my line of work, if I am unable to save my config due to "permission denied", it always points to an IOS bug.

Leo,

We rebooted the switch and can do a show run - but only from the console.  We still cannot do a show run from the vty lines.  We can now look at the nvram from both the vty and console lines; however, when I do a copy run start - from the console, we get a NVRAM verification failed.  If I try this on the vty lines, I still get the "NVRAM:  Unable to read configuration.  Try again later."  When I look in the nvram, my start-up config file size is  now 0, as is the private-config, underlying-config, rf_cold_starts and ifIndex-table.gz.  I have a file size of 89 for persistent-data and then I have 3 cert files that have an actual file size.  I have 516040 bytes from out of a total of 524284 bytes total.

Thanks

Create a TAC Case with this thread.  I've never seen a behaviour described.  This is more and more beginning to sound like an IOS bug.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card