cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

unable to enter global configuration mode to stacking switch member?

vcp754467
Level 1
Level 1

i got two 2960X switches which are stacked together in my lab.

Tried connecting to this stacking switch via management IP and switch over to "session 2" to perform further setup on member 2 slave switch.

However, when I key-in the "configure terminal" the system did not respond me because there's no "configure t" command available.

(just want to make some trunk and access mode settings on interfaces in that switch.)

according to this configuration guide of switch stack, it seemed that only limited command-lines are available for stack members. But how can i enter the "configure terminal" to configure member switch? Quite confused.

thanks for any assistance and help~

hope my question is not too stupid.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That the correct behavior, as you are not supposed to make any changes to the individual switch member. All config changes must be done using the active switch. When stacking multiple switches together, they logically become one switch and so you only make changes to the master switch. The master switch will push the config to all member switches.

HTH

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That the correct behavior, as you are not supposed to make any changes to the individual switch member. All config changes must be done using the active switch. When stacking multiple switches together, they logically become one switch and so you only make changes to the master switch. The master switch will push the config to all member switches.

HTH

a liitle bit surprising.

i thought individual  switches in a switch stack can still own different settings(such as different VLAN configurations on same interface number.).

alright, so back to the topic. if I need to change a member switch's interface configuration, say "gigabitethernet 1/0/5", then I can only configure the master switch's "gigabitethernet 1/0/5"?

thanks in advance!!! :)

Hi @vcp754467 

Check this:58A89F2F-AEC3-4216-B16A-BAF693D9D7E1.jpeg

Regards

Hello @vcp754467 ,

use

show switch

to see what numbers have been taken by the two stack members , this numbering does not depend from the master role

in other words the master is not always switch number 1. The above show command will tell you which switch is the master and their numberings.

For referring to a non master interface you will use interface gi <switch#>/0/5.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

alright, so back to the topic. if I need to change a member switch's interface configuration, say "gigabitethernet 1/0/5", then I can only configure the master switch's "gigabitethernet 1/0/5"?

That is correct. All configs are done from the master. Think about all the other switches in a stack as blades in a big chassis.

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: