cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to have 2 active vlan on Cisco 2950.

JHVindasC
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I'm trying to configure some vlans on a 2950 we have in the office.

It has some old configuration and I don't want to delete it, it shouldn't give me problems at all.

Now, I have vlan 100 and vlan 115, if I decide to issue the command "no shutdown" for the vlan 100, it goes up but the vlan 115 goes down. 

Same happens if I issue the command on the vlan 115, vlan 110 goes down.

Any of you have an idea of what could it be the cause of this?

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

that is, unfortunately in your case, how the 2950 is designed. You can only have one interface, typically used for management, active at the same time on the 2950...

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Hello,

that is, unfortunately in your case, how the 2950 is designed. You can only have one interface, typically used for management, active at the same time on the 2950...

Makes sense since I wasn't able to mantain both interfaces active at the same time lol

Didn't know that about the 2950, thank you.

I am having the same issue with not being able to have 2 vlans active on my 2950 lab switch, I am testing some configuration to role out changes into my production switch at work. But i cannot get 2 VLAN to come up in my 2950 lab switch running IOS code 12.1(19)EA1c, but on my production switch running IOS 12.2 both the vlans are up. Can I get some help on this? Please let me know if you would like the running config from both devices.

Are you talking about

conf t
vlan 100
shut

or about

interface vlan 100
shut ?

The 2950 switch will allow you have only one layer 3 interface with IP Address at the time.
** Please rate helpful posts **

CCIE #58023

I'm talking about:

interface vlan 100

ip add x.x.x.x x.x.x.x

no shut

Yeah, that's one of the reasons those switches are called layer 2 switches. They don't have multiple Layer 3 interfaces.

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***
** Please rate helpful posts **

CCIE #58023
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card