Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to login to 3650

fred2k3
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have just purchased a couple of new WS-3650 switches. Having downloaded Cisco's getting started guide it suggests you hold down the mode button for 3 seconds to access the Express Setup mode. I am familiar with this process with the 2960 model and it works fine. With these 3650s though there is no response no matter how long I hold the mode button down.

If I connect to the main LAN ports on the switch I pick up an IP of 192.168.1.2 and can access the web GUI on 192.168.1.1 which struck me as odd since I thought the default is supposed to be 10.0.0.1 (however I've seen other posts where people have had the same thing happen, so not sure).

I have no idea what the default username & password is though. I've tried blank/cisco admin/admin admin/cisco and lots of other combinations but nothing works.

Does anyone know what the default username & p/w is, or why the mode button is not allowing me to access the Express Setup (or resetting the switch)?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

For anyone else having this issue (the Express Setup doesn't work, and neither does the default username and password) you have to configure through the switch through the CLI using the "Initial Configuration" setup procedure. 

Also important to note: when that's complete, reboot the switch before it accepts your secret password, and that it might only accept the username "cisco" even if you have defined something else.

Thanks Cisco for one of the worst experiences setting up a piece of hardware ever!

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Hi, check this procedure:

Step 1 Connect a terminal or PC with terminal-emulation software to the switch console port.

Step 2 Set the line speed on the emulation software to 9600 baud.

Step 3 Power off the switch.

Step 4 Reconnect the power cord to the switch and, within 15 seconds, press the Mode button while the System LED is still flashing green. Continue pressing the Mode button until the System LED turns briefly amber and then solid green; then release the Mode button.

Full procedure is reported to this link:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3560/software/release/12-2_52_se/configuration/guide/3560scg/swtrbl.html

Regards.

Many thanks for the reply Daniele.  It looks like that's from the "Recovering from a Lost or Forgotten Password" section, and I may try that as a last resort, but I'm quite concerned that these are new units and why they would be in that state.

What I can't understand is, why holding down the mode button has no affect.  The Cisco 3650 guide states holding for 3 seconds should either take you to express setup mode, or make the lights flash if it's already configured (it's doing nether of those) and if you hold down for 7 seconds the unit should restart (again not happening).

For anyone else having this issue (the Express Setup doesn't work, and neither does the default username and password) you have to configure through the switch through the CLI using the "Initial Configuration" setup procedure. 

Also important to note: when that's complete, reboot the switch before it accepts your secret password, and that it might only accept the username "cisco" even if you have defined something else.

Thanks Cisco for one of the worst experiences setting up a piece of hardware ever!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card