cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to ping ASR 1002 Own IP Addresses

em
Level 1
Level 1

I have two ASR1002 with the same exact configuration. One is able to issue ICMP traffic just fine while the other cannot even ping its own assigned IP addresses. The only difference here is that one has an ESP installed while the other does not. Does the ASR need the ESP in order to perform its functions? I came across this (see below) which lead me to believe that it does but I want to double check. 

The Cisco ASR 1000 Series embedded service processors:

• Provide the centralized embedded forwarding services responsible for the bulk of the data plane processing tasks. All network traffic through the Cisco ASR 1000 Series system flows through the Cisco ASR 1000 Series Embedded Services Processors.
  • Are responsible for the data-plane processing tasks and all network traffic flows through them.
  • Support Forwarding Engine Control Processor which provide hardware abstraction layer between the QFP-based forwarding engine and other system components, allowing datapath and management functions to be independent.
  • Support Cisco QuantumFlow Processor (QFP) forwarding engines.
  • Support QFP provisioned with two TCAM4 devices for ACL lookup and other software features.
  • Perform all baseline packet routing operations, including MAC classification, Layer 2 and Layer 3 forwarding, quality-of-service (QoS) classification, policing and shaping, security access control lists (ACLs), VPNs, load balancing, NetFlow.
  • Are responsible for features such as firewalls, intrusion prevention, Network Based Application Recognition (NBAR), Network Address Translation (NAT), and flexible pattern matching.
  • Incorporates a security encryption coprocessor to assist encryption processing common to all embedded services processors. The security processor operates in coprocessor mode and only processes packets sent to it by the Cisco QFP.
  • Provide hardware abstraction layer between the packet processing-based forwarding engine and other system components.

7 Replies 7

Hello,

As far as I know, router ASR 1000 comes with Route Processor by default. I might be wrong. Route processor has a Mgmt-intf VRF. If you set ip address on the managment interface, it goes into that VRF. Use sh run to find a VRF. Then,

Show ip route VRF Mgmt-intf[ if the name is the same]

ping vrf Mgmt-intf [ip]

Please check the link below.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/asr1000/configuration/guide/chassis/asrswcfg/Management_Ethernet.html#pgfId-1059026

Masoud

Thanks for the quick reply. I thought of that but I should at least be able to ping its own IP address. The management interface will only be used for that purpose and i cannot use it for other purpose such as routing to other transit network. 

You are able to ping it by using VRF in your ping command.

ping vrf Mgmt-intf [Its own IP]

When you ping without using VRF, your router is searching for that IP in the Global routing table while that interface is in the Mgmt-intf VRF.

Try this,

Connect that interface to a PC, then ping the IP of that interface from PC . You will get reply.

ping vrf Mgmt-intf [PC IP] (from router)

Masoud,

I don't have vrf Mgmt-intf enabled on either ASR. 

ASR with ESP installed

Interface IP-Address OK? Method Status Protocol
GigabitEthernet0/0/0 10.2.253.9 YES NVRAM up up
GigabitEthernet0/0/1 10.1.95.249 YES NVRAM up up
GigabitEthernet0/0/2 unassigned YES NVRAM down down
GigabitEthernet0/0/3 192.168.92.2 YES NVRAM up up
GigabitEthernet0 unassigned YES NVRAM administratively down down

#ping 8.8.8.8
Type escape sequence to abort.
Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 8.8.8.8, timeout is 2 seconds:
!!!!!
Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 6/6/7 ms

ASR without ESP:

Interface IP-Address OK? Method Status Protocol
GigabitEthernet0/0/0 10.2.253.11 YES NVRAM down down
GigabitEthernet0/0/1 10.1.95.248 YES manual up up
GigabitEthernet0/0/2 unassigned YES NVRAM down down
GigabitEthernet0/0/3 192.168.92.6 YES NVRAM down down
GigabitEthernet0 unassigned YES NVRAM administratively down down

ping 8.8.8.8

Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 8.8.8.8, timeout is 2 seconds:
Success rate is 0 percent (0/5)
#ping 10.1.95.248

Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 10.1.95.248, timeout is 2 seconds:
Success rate is 0 percent (0/5)

Please share the output of show IP route.

S* 0.0.0.0/0 [1/0] via 10.1.95.254
10.0.0.0/8 is variably subnetted, 2 subnets, 2 masks
C 10.1.95.0/24 is directly connected, GigabitEthernet0/0/1
L 10.1.95.248/32 is directly connected, GigabitEthernet0/0/1

Everything looks good to me. Try to set a new IP address and ping again. Seperate its cable and check the status of that interface to see it goes down or still is UP UP.

Lets wait to see others feedback.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card