Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to Ping from Native Vlan to an ip in another VLan

shaharshad
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am facing an issue. I am able to do normal ping to a particular VM machine  (172.16.2.10) in Vlan 2. But when I am trying to do Extended Ping (Source Vlan 1 ), I am unable to ping it. However, I am able to ping from some other Vlans like (VLAN3). 

Can you please help me

thanks

4 Replies 4

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

Can you post the configs, we need to see them?

Are you pinging from the same switch that the VM host is plugged into?

What does your intervlan routing?

Its a Layer 3 switch which is doing intervlan routing. All ports are configured trunk. I have changed ports but it didn't work. I 'll send you config shortly.

Meanwhile i checked "esxcfg-vswitch" (I don't know much about VMware) out put. One thing which caught my attention was under 

PortGroup Name        Vlan ID           Used Port

Default                           0                     0

Shouldn't default vlan should be having vlan 1?

Other vendors don't necessarily assign vlan ID 1 as the native vlan.  That is a Cisco thing, and also a possible source of interoperability headaches.

Hi,

Thanks for your answers.

by the way I want to clear my concept. shouldn't this intervlan routing stuff to be done on l3 switches?

Actual scenario is;

both switches A & B(one Cisco and one juniper) are layer3 having vlan 1 and 2 exists on both switches with interfaces. Than comes Esxi virtual (distributed , it has vlan 2 and Sonme other vlans 3,4 etc not vlan 1) switch C which is contacted to switch B (i.e. Juniper).

Now if I try to ping machine in vlan 2 from interface / machine on vlan 1 of switch A it doesn't ping. Can someone explain it?

thanks

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card