Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Understanding the Switch Behavior

Hi Experts,

I understand the concept of Tagging but just trying to under how does the switch behaves on some adverse scenario's.

I have put forth this table along with my undrestanding. Just wanted to confirm if my understanding is okay.

Lets assume a case that the switch is connected to a packet generator which places some frames on the link towards switch:

Switch   Port Operational Status:  Access
Vlan : 10
My understading:

case 1: The switch gets a traffic on that   port with a tag : 10Since the Switch is configured as an Access port , it would expect a   untagged traffic on this port. Since the port receives a tagged traffic, it   would drop the packet
Case 2:    The switch gets a traffic on this port with a tag : 2Since the Switch is configured as an Access port , it would expect a   untagged traffic on this port. Since the port receives a tagged traffic, it   would drop the packet
Case 3: The switch gets a traffic on this   port with no tagThe Switch process the traffic and attaches the tag Vlan10 when sent over   trunk link

Switch   Port Operational Status:  Trunk

case 1: The switch gets a traffic on that   port with a tagThe switch removes the tag upon receiving the tagged traffic and   processes the traffic (re-tags if it has to be sent over another trunk link   or sends as it is if had to be sent to an access port)
Case 2: The switch gets a traffic on this   port with no tagThe switch takes this traffic as part of Native Vlan and process them.

Please let me know if I'm okay wiht my understading.

Thanks.

-Vijay

1 Reply 1

siddhartham
Level 4
Level 4

You are right

Siddhartha
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: