cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Understanding Trunks and vlans

ApathiaLol
Level 1
Level 1

I managed to get my hands on an old Catalyst so I'm attempting to use an old UniFi AP for my IOT network, along with a guest network but I can't figure out how to properly configure the switch.

I have a PFSense install connected to a ge port on the switch, with the AP connected to one of the fe ports on the switch.

I have 3 vlans, 10(IOT), 20(Guest), and 99(Management).

From what I've read, I need to configure the port to be a trunk port, but that doesn't seem to work.

So I set fe0/2 and ge0/2 to trunk (switchport mode trunk)

And then I set them to allow all vlans (switchport trunk allowed vlan all)

I even set encapsulation to be dot1q (switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q)

I'm pretty sure I'm missing something, or entirely miss the point of trunking?

18 Replies 18

This information is contained in OP: WAP connected to Fa0/2, and pfSense appliance performing inter-VLAN routing connected to Gi0/2.

OP also indicates that desired configuration is to trunk both ports (meaning Gi0/2 is misconfigured as an access port, as shown in the show interface status output posted above).

Having read the complete discussion again I agree that both fa0/2 and G0/2 should be configured as trunks. The immediate problem is that G0/2 is configured as an access port. Once G0/2 is configured as a trunk then the switch part should be ok. If it still does not work then it would be either an issue with pfSense or with the WAP.

HTH

Rick

I did indeed have g0/2 misconfigured. I thought I had it configured as trunk, but for some reason I did not.

This is my working config:

cisco#show running-config int f0/2
Building configuration...

Current configuration : 159 bytes
!
interface FastEthernet0/2
 description "Wlan"
 switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
 switchport trunk allowed vlan 1-99,101-4094
 switchport mode trunk
end

cisco#show run
cisco#show running-config int g0/2
Building configuration...

Current configuration : 164 bytes
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/2
 description "rooter"
 switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
 switchport trunk allowed vlan 1-99,101-4094
 switchport mode trunk
end

This has been an extended discussion with several good comments/suggestions offered. Glad to know that it is resolved and that you now have it working. Thank you for marking this question as solved. This will help other participants in the community to identify discussions which have helpful information. This community is an excellent place to ask questions and to learn about networking. I hope to see you continue to be active in the community.

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card