Views
Helpful
Replies

Unmanaged SG350 turns off VoIP phone when plugged into phone PC port

sulaiman26
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I inherited a Cisco SG350-28P switch, which I configured as an unmanaged switch by turning off LLPD, CDP and disabled auto-smart port.  I plugged in the PC port from behind my VoIP CP-8841 phone into port 24 of the Cisco switch.  Immediately after plugging in, the phone turns off.  I did the same with an older Cisco CP-7962G VoIP phone and it gives me the same results.  When I plug in the PC port from either of the two Cisco VoIP phones to any out-of-the-box unmanaged switch (like Netgear GS105), everything works fine.  Can someone suggest how else to configure the Cisco SG350 so that it behaves like a very simple unmanaged switch and doesn't cause VoIP phones to turn off?

Thank you!

-sul.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello @sulaiman26 ,

probaly STP is still running.

However, I would recommend you to connect a switch directly to the main switch and not going via a Cisco IP phone . This is not a correct way to use an IP phone the PC port is intended to connect a single PC host.

Having unmanaged switches in your network can be a nightmare for troublshooting if possible remove all of them.

Of course if it is your home lab you can do these tricks.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

post show run

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello @sulaiman26 ,

probaly STP is still running.

However, I would recommend you to connect a switch directly to the main switch and not going via a Cisco IP phone . This is not a correct way to use an IP phone the PC port is intended to connect a single PC host.

Having unmanaged switches in your network can be a nightmare for troublshooting if possible remove all of them.

Of course if it is your home lab you can do these tricks.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Bingo! Disabled spanning tree and works!

thank you for your quick response.

-s.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card