Views
Helpful
Replies

Untagged

husamabobakr
Level 1
Level 1

Dears,

i have one question regarding native vlan.

i have two switch as below :

SW1

inter f0/1

swicht port mode trunk

switch port trunk allow vlan 5-20

switch port trunk native vlan 10

SW2

inter f0/1

swicht port mode trunk

switch port trunk allow vlan 5-20

switch port trunk native vlan 100

the queistion is how sw2 will handle the traffic coming from sw1.

per to my understanding the traffic will be drop due to mismatch on the native vlan.

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If STP is running (and it should be) then it will see a native vlan mismatch and will put the port into blocking mode which is really what you want it to do. 

If STP is not running then you have in effect joined two vlans together which is not really what you want to do. 

Jon

View solution in original post

If CDP is enabled, it will complain too, but as Jon notes, it's possible to "join" to different VLANs.

Similar can be accomplished if you join to "access" ports defined in different VLANs.

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

VLAN10  packets are sent untagged by SW1. SW2 considers untagged packets to be VLAN100

per to my understanding the traffic will be drop due to mismatch on the native vlan.

With no CDP enabled, switch knows nothing about it. Even with CDP enabled, it's just warning. Packets are still processed according configuration. But STP may block them.

See also Native VLAN mismatch and CDP

6 Replies 6

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If STP is running (and it should be) then it will see a native vlan mismatch and will put the port into blocking mode which is really what you want it to do. 

If STP is not running then you have in effect joined two vlans together which is not really what you want to do. 

Jon

If CDP is enabled, it will complain too, but as Jon notes, it's possible to "join" to different VLANs.

Similar can be accomplished if you join to "access" ports defined in different VLANs.

Thanks Mr, Joseph W.

Thanks Mr, Jon Marshall

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

VLAN10  packets are sent untagged by SW1. SW2 considers untagged packets to be VLAN100

With no CDP enabled, switch knows nothing about it. Even with CDP enabled, it's just warning. Packets are still processed according configuration. But STP may block them.

See also Native VLAN mismatch and CDP

Thanks a lot Mr,Dan Lukes :)
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card