Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

password recovery 2960x -48LPS - caveat

Just like to share something I came across for the first time tonight-

Simple task – password recovery 2960x -48LPS, (universalk9-mz.150-2.EX5)

The situation  was this switch was acting as a transit hop for some remote customer, It had a faulty fan so it needed to be replaced, However for some unknown reason no one had any idea what was configured on it and had no access credentials to check -anyway with me being the closest to the customer I drew the shortest straw-  

Solution simple was password recovery, amend access creds, recover the config and get the hell out of dodge! -  change window 45 mins max!

So all went well, reloaded, into rommon, initiate flash, rename config.text file rebooted….good stuff!
Now when I went to rename the config file for some obscured reason the IOS had appended a 28 bit numeric garbage to the file -  eg: config.OLD)*££*$&£*£$&(£`*)^%02l/=

Okay not a problem, however the ios refused to acknowledge the file even when I pasted the whole garbage extension  thus I couldn’t rename it, copy it, nothing and as we had no record of what was on there I couldn’t just start from scratch I needed restore this vital config.

Tick tock…Change window getting ever so smaller and then with 5 mins to spare eureka!

rename flash:config.OLD<tab key>  config.text – success!

For some reason this appends the exact file extension and allows you to rename the file but copy/ pasting didn’t work

Obviuosly i was aware of the tab function to auto fill command but I have never come across this before during a password recovery preceedure so I thought I would share it

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
4 Replies 4

Jaderson Pessoa
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Thank you for share your experience :)
Jaderson Pessoa
*** Rate All Helpful Responses ***

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Paul,
IOS version ... EX5 -- Yeah, that'll be it right there.

Hey Leo

You indicating mate that this was a possibly due to a specific ios train?

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Yes.
The "EX" train is a "provisional" firmware. I would never recommend anyone running this firmware in production.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card