cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Updating IOS on Catalyst 9200L

chiseledst
Level 1
Level 1

Can someone tell me the commands to use to update the firmware on my 9200L? I am copying from a USB but I think I used the wrong commands.

It was stuck on a boot loop, I've taken the switch out of boot loop with:

SWITCH_IGNORE_STARTUP_CFG=1

boot flash:packages.conf

Then,

SWITCH_IGNORE_STARTUP_CFG=0

But now when I am using

copy usbflash0-1: bootflash: cat9k_lite_iosxe.17.09.04.SPA.bin

The new .bin file does not show in dir. When I use dir flash:*.bin, it says no file type found. I think I am copying it wrong or something was done incorrectly before.

When I am copying, this is what I'm doing
Switch#copy usbflash0-2:/cat9k_lite_iosxe.17.09.04.SPA.bin flash:
Destination filename [cat9k_lite_iosxe.17.09.04.SPA.bin]? y
%Warning:There is a file already existing with this name
Do you want to over write? [confirm]y

But it does not work. I can't install it afterwards, and it says .bin files do not exist.

Switch#dir flash.*.bin
Directory of flash:/flash.*.bin

No such file

1956839424 bytes total (786567168 bytes free)
Switch#

28 Replies 28

Wdym by stack master? It's two switches. IOS firmware is 17.6.5, I've tried "install remove inactive" and copying and installing on both. 

Trying to update to 17.9.4

Right, so does both switch have a config yet?

If it does, export the config to an external location.

No config, it is a brand new switch. Im not sure what I did but it is stuck in boot loop now trying to boot from flash when I power cycle even though installing the flash from the usb fails. I have to go into ROMMON to take it out of boot loop. How can I reset to factory default and start fresh? Updating the firmware should work but i definitely did something that's causing an issue.

@chiseledst wrote:
No config, it is a brand new switch.

PERFECT!  

1.  Remove the stacking module.
2.  Boot the first switch into ROMMON. 
3.  Plug the USB flash drive, containing the firmware, into the same switch
4.  Enter the command:  emergency-install usbflash0:cat9k_iosxe.17.09.03.SPA.bin
5.  After the switch boots normally, do the following: 

conf t
 software auto-upgrade enable
end
wr

6.  Make switch 1 the master.
7.  Connect the 2nd switch to the stack. 
8.  Power up the 2nd switch

Do i need to do anything afterwards on the 2nd switch? So just to be clear, I need to go into ROMMON mode on the master which is switch 1? 
I will follow these steps exactly tomorrow morning. My brain is fried. I went home.

@chiseledst wrote:
Do i need to do anything afterwards on the 2nd switch?

Make sure the 2nd switch boots normally and joins the stack. 

Step 5 will instruct the switch master, already on 17.9.4, to distribute the firmware to any switch member with incompatible firmware version.

I am in ROMMON mode, however your command didn't work.

This is what I see:

switch: help
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
arp Dump or Clear ARP Table
boot Load and boot an executable image
cat Display text content from a file
copy Copy a file
dir List filesystems or a directory on a filesystem path
help List command information
history Show command history
idprom Show idprom data
ping Ping use ICMP protocol to get an ICMP ECHO_RESPONSE from host
ping6 Ping use ICMP protocol to get an ICMP ECHO_RESPONSE from host
reset Reset entire system
set Set an environment variable value
unset Unsets an environment variable
version Show sboot version and runtime info
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I am using the boot command, will see if it works.

The boot  command worked, but it was stuck in boot loop...but then it loaded after a few loops. I unplugged the stacking module and was trying it on switch #2.

Switch# Role Mac Address Priority Version State
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 Member 0000.0000.0000 0 Provisioned
*2 Active 6c03.b5cc.8800 1 V02 Ready

chiseledst_0-1697805811330.png

chiseledst_1-1697806354961.pngchiseledst_2-1697806404846.png
I removed the member completely, so now the switch is standalone, did a wr erase, even did reset in ROMMON. I am booting from usbflash again in ROMMON (emergency install). The thing is, even after it boots normally, if i reload the switch, it tries to boot from the flash again and fails. Going to try " install remove inactive" and wr mem after it boots normally here after second try.

This is my 7th edit but removed the stack module, renumbered the switch to 1 and went into ROMMON again to do the boot from USBflash and it worked. I am now on the IOS from the usb. Which is good. However, the switch still seems to be stuck in boot loop every time it reboots, it tries to boot from flash like 5 times before it boots up normally. I need to go back into ROMMON and re do the boot to get it back on 17.9.4. After the boot loop, it put it back on the old IOS. 

But after the switch boots normally on the IOS from the USB, do I need to set the boot variable or do an install activate commit?

I fixed it. Thanks for your help. The emergency install command and auto-upgrade did not work. However, I was able to boot the flash from ROMMON. The first try it did not work so I removed the stacking module, and unprovisioned the other switch in the CLI. Then I went back into ROMMON and did "boot usbflash0:cat9k_lite_iosxe.17.09.04.SPA.bin". After this, when the switch boots back up, I used "install remove inactive" to remove the old IOS. Then I used "install add file usbflash0:cat9k_lite_iosxe.17.09.04.SPA.bin activate commit" which installs the new firmware successfully. When I connected the stack afterwards, there was a firmware mismatch and "show switch" showed V-mismatch so I basically had to re-do the same process on the other switch. Once both switches were on the firmware from USB, I connected the stacking module and renumbered and changed priority of the switches so everything was back to what I needed it to be.

I definitely did something to get it stuck on the boot from flash loop. So if anyone reading this and is having the same problem, try what I did.

dabitgall21
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everybody

I'm trying to create a LAN between my pc and switch to update switch version by tftp, but when i connect my pc to the switch port it doesn't work correctly, the port leds are turned off, all i can see in the switch interface is this screen

dabitgall21_0-1716920732388.png

I have a static IP in my pc, 192.168.1.2, 255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.1.1, i set the ip 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0 in the switch but there ins't comunication.

dabitgall21_1-1716920845646.png

Can somebody help me please? thanks so much!!

I don't have access to configuration mode to verify if the ports are disabled, i can't even recovery it with the last version it had

When you're in ROMMON mode (switch:   ) follow my comment that is deemed solution for this post. Forget tftp, boot from flash.

The switch is in ROMMON. 

Please post the complete output to the following ROMMON commands: 

dir flash:
set

IMPORTANT:  Do not post screenshots.  (Dump the output into a text file and attach the text file in the next response.)

I got you, i'll do the next time, thanks for the information i already have access to the switch configuration. i wrote this comand:

Now it's working correctly. thank you so much once again.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card