cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

upgrade 2960s stack with bin files only

tllewell55
Level 1
Level 1

We intend to upgrade our 2960S stacks to the last version of code available for the platform. We do not use the embedded manager. However, if I read the docs right, distributing the new code with the "archive download-sw" command using the /imageonly option requires us to use the tar file. It will not work if we only have the bin file. Do I understand that correctly?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

Correct, the archive command is for use with .tar files only.

If just using .bin files, copy them to the switch flash and manually adjust the boot sytem variable.

cheers,

Seb.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

Correct, the archive command is for use with .tar files only.

If just using .bin files, copy them to the switch flash and manually adjust the boot sytem variable.

cheers,

Seb.

Thanks, Seb. We're trying to automate the process with Solarwinds Orion. We may not get there, and I have a little heartburn with the idea of automating upgrades of a couple of dozen stacks, since I only work on computers, I don't trust them at all. ;-) So, I'm working out the process to see if this could work. Theoretically, we could modify an Orion template to run the archive download-sw command and let the switches handle the software distribution. I don't see how Orion could handle distributing bin files as there are just too many variables.

Agreed, the archive command is great as it takes away the guess work regarding the stack size and distribution of the source file onto the stacks multiple flash directories. 

This is definitely a case for roll you own. Printing the out of sh switch and determine the maximum stack member number, then iterating up to that number, each time copying to flash-X. 

If you take the automation path, just remember not to delete the old image from flash until you have successfully booted the new one!!

cheers,

Seb.

I upgrade about >300 switches and I've never used automation tools. I always use the "archive download-sw" script because it gives me the added assurance the comments at the end of the script.
If the firmware update wasn't successful it'll say so. Automation tools don't have that luxury.

I don't disagree with that; I think right now we're really just looking at all the options. So far I haven't seen any real advantages to building a custom script in a commercial NMS over the built-in automation in "archive download-sw".

Gabe1918
Level 1
Level 1

For 2960s stack switches, you can use this guide, it works for 2960s too, I tested it today by using the 152-2.E9 image. Go to: Switch Stack IOS Upgrade - Manual (.bin Image)

After the upgrade, you can also delete the old IOS image by using  delete flash: file_name or delete /force /recursive flash:dir_name

Reference:https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-3750-series-switches/64898-upgrade-3750-stack.html#cfbin1

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card