Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade Cisco 3850 3.7.xE Stack

Ahmad Saad4
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there!

I need to add a standalone Cisco 3850-48P to an existing Cisco 3850 stack of 3 (2x48P, 1x24P)

Existing Stack (3xCisco 3850) (2x48 Ports, 1x24 Ports):
Cisco IOS Software, IOS-XE Software, Catalyst L3 Switch Software (CAT3K_CAA-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 03.07.03.E RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)

Switch   Ports            Model SW                      Version SW                                                           Image Mode
------ ----- ----- ---------- ---------- ---------------------------------------------------------------
* 1         56             WS-C3850-48P                03.07.03.E cat3k_caa-universalk9                             BUNDLE
2           56              WS-C3850-48P                03.07.03.E cat3k_caa-universalk9                            BUNDLE
3           32              WS-C3850-24P                03.07.03.E cat3k_caa-universalk9                            BUNDLE

To add a single Cisco 3850-48P to the above stack :
Cisco IOS Software [Denali], Catalyst L3 Switch Software (CAT3K_CAA-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 16.3.5b, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Switch    Ports              Model SW                              Version SW                                                     Image Mode   
------ ----- ----- ---------- ---------- -------------------------------------------------------------
* 1         56                 WS-C3850-48P               16.3.5b CAT3K_CAA-UNIVERSALK9                           INSTALL

So, as you can see from the above that the SW  version and SW mode are different between the existing stack and the new member.

I'm not quite sure what's the best approach to accomplish this task (adding new member to the existing stack). I will be so grateful if someone can help and advise.

(I've read that the code IOS-XE 3.7.xE will be discontinued if not already)

Also, there's a bug CSCuv18572 " %NGWC_PLATFORM_FEP-1-FRU_PS_ACCESS: Switch 6: power supply B is not responding" that appears on all the switches above which need the SW version to be upgraded to the recommend and stable version.
Shall I go for
 Fuji-16.9.6 image here ?

Thanks

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Upgrade the existing stack the latest 3.7.X firmware in Install Mode (Recommended). 

Downgrade the new switch member to the same version (also in Install Mode). 

Why not upgrade to 16.X.X?  Because 16.X.X is not as "cracked up" as some people would like to say.  

Thanks so much for reply.

Has the firmware code 3.7.xE been discontinued? If yes, I can't see the point of upgrading it.

I don't have any objections on upgrading the stack (and new member) to the recommend and stable version by Cisco if it's the right path.

The current image mode of the stack is "BUNDLE", so is it save to change it to "INSTALL"?

@Ahmad Saad4 wrote:

Has the firmware code 3.7.xE been discontinued?

I would rather have a stable code.  

@Ahmad Saad4 wrote:

The current image mode of the stack is "BUNDLE", so is it save to change it to "INSTALL"?

I agree with TAC that Install Mode is the recommended method because it uses less CPU and Memory as well as Install Mode boots faster.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card