cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade core

froggerdata7
Level 1
Level 1

We are looking to upgrade the core switch from a Catalyst 4506 to a 6509.  Being that the 4506 is currently the VTP server, how would you recreate teh 6509 to become the new VPT server?  Would I bring them both online and configure the 6509 as a server too, but make sure the config and vlan.dat file was deleted?  Or is that still risky?

I was also thinking, if I disable the trunk to my other client switches and have only my 4506 and 6509 online, make the 6509 a client switch.  Once the VLAN information propogates, power off the 4506 and reconfigure the 6509 as the VTP server, followed by connecting the other client switches.  Would that work? 

I would like to learn the best practice for this procedure, so I do it the right way.

7 Replies 7

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Duplicate posts.

I didn't know it took so long for the posts to come up, so I thought I made a mistake posting.  My mistake.

I'm looking to do a straight swap.  We have some performance issues on the line cards on the 4506, so I want to pull it out completely.  Plus that switch is old, and we need the capactiy of the 6500 series.

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

Are you looking to replace the 4506 with the 6509 straight away, i.e a straight swap or run the 6500 in tandem whilst migrating across slowly?

shillings
Level 4
Level 4

Cisco has released the 6800 series to replace the 6500 series. It uses the same Sup2T.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps715/index.html

Cisco will offer trade in on your 4500 series too.

froggerdata7
Level 1
Level 1

I wish we could get a 6800 series in here.  The upper management people are cheap!  I barely convinced them to get this 6500 in here.  They only see $$$ and nothing else.  But when the network is down, they ask why?

PM sent

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card