cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade Software Image C4500x-16

christian.hoehn
Level 1
Level 1

We tried to upgrade our catalyst 4500x-16 with a new software image (IOS-XE).

Old image version is 03.03.01.SG new image version is 03.04.00.SG.

Copied the new image via tftp to the device into bootflash:, then we set the new boot var with "boot system flash bootflash:filename", write down the running-config.

So we made the reload.

We could see, the device isn't loading the image referenced in the config:

***** The system will autoboot in 5 seconds *****

Type control-C to prevent autobooting.

. . . . .

******** The system will autoboot now ********

config-register = 0x2101

Autobooting using the first file from bootflash.....

The device loaded the old image file which is known as the first file from bootflash.

With typeing control-C, we could load the new image file but we want to do this remote without a console cable.

Possibly we also could delete the old image file, then the new file would be the first. But I think that is not the idea. Then the boot var in the confi ist useless.

Are there any ideas about this case?

Christian

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

bgusek
Level 1
Level 1

You need to update the config-register.  0x2101 will boot into the first file found.  0x2102 will use the boot system command you have set.

conf t

config-register 0x2102

end

write mem

That will update it to use your boot system command.

View solution in original post

Does the config register now show 0x2102 when you do a show version ?   You must reload the box when you change the config register . also "boot system flash bootflash:

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

bgusek
Level 1
Level 1

You need to update the config-register.  0x2101 will boot into the first file found.  0x2102 will use the boot system command you have set.

conf t

config-register 0x2102

end

write mem

That will update it to use your boot system command.

kcnajaf
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Christian,

You need to ensure that when you issue show boot system the first image is the image with which you want the switch to boot. You can change this by issuing below command.

no boot system

boot system   &

boot system

Once you do this verify again the result with show boot system and ensure that the primary image is the first in the list.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Najaf

Please rate when applicable or helpful !!!

Hi Najaf

Thanks for your answer.

I think you mean the command show bootvar.

I changed the boot system like you describe in your post, but that had no impcat. Every time the first image in the flas was loading. It's like the ROMON is not interested in what boot system is configured in the startup-config.

I din't already try the thing with changing the config-regester, whats in the Post of Brad. But I think that could be helping.

The other thing is tho delete all other images, then you have only one first image in flash. :-)

Anyway, its strange that the line boot system is ignored by bootloader.

Regards and thanks.

Christian

Does the config register now show 0x2102 when you do a show version ?   You must reload the box when you change the config register . also "boot system flash bootflash:

I changed the config register. It now shows 0x2102, after the reboot.

And the desired image is now loaded!

But the config entry boot system still makes no sense for me, because its ignored.

Thanks

The boot statement should not be ignored if your register is now 0x2102 .  It is ignored if it's 0x2101 and will just load first image in bootflash.

There is a glitch in the IOS and after hours of pounding my head, I finally figured it out. Don't delete the other IOS in flash to get the switch to boot to your new IOS.

enter this command just like this:

#boot system bootflash:your_file_name_here

I tried it and it is finally working. Even though ios help does not list the bootflash:  

It will accept it and then your dilema will be resolved..... 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card