cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade Uplink ports to 10Gbe

ITAdmin777
Level 1
Level 1

I am doing some research for 10Gbe for existing distribution switches back to our core switches.

If anyone can chime in, very much appreciated...Cisco is not my strong point...but a work in progress!

Here are the details if anyone can help validate the part numbers see below!

Also if anyone can identify the correct way to proceed?, ie) I assume SFP's are hot plug?, so can you just pull out the 1GBe and insert the  10Gbe SFP's at each end, or do you have to shutdown the switches at each end?  details appreciated!  

I did see a section " Installing Devices in the 10-Gigabit Ethernet Slots"  however, seems the article is speaking from new setup, whereas I have exisitin setup with 1 Gbe Uplink ports already functioning!

Each Stack has 2 uplink ports back to the core switches...so no EtherChannel configured

ie)

Switch Stack 1 - Switch 1  Gi1/0/25   goes to Core Switch 1 Gi1/0/10

Switch Stack 1 - Switch 2  Gi1/0/25   goes to Core Switch 2 Gi1/0/10

.......and the same applies for Switch Stack 2, just different ports

Distribution Switch Stacks

Switch Stack 1 ) – Floor 1

Switch                   Model                                   SW Version         SW Image                

1                              WS-C3750E-24PD             15.0(2)SE6            C3750E-IPBASEK9-M       

2                              WS-C3750E-24PD             15.0(2)SE6            C3750E-IPBASEK9-M       

Switch Stack 2) – Floor 2

Switch                   Model                                   SW Version         SW Image                

1                              WS-C3750E-24PD             15.0(2)SE6            C3750E-IPBASEK9-M       

2                              WS-C3750E-24PD             15.0(2)SE6            C3750E-IPBASEK9-M       

The above each have - 24 Ethernet 10/100/1000 ports with PoE and 2  x 2 10 Gigabit Ethernet uplinks

Model C3750E-24PD-S

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750e_3560e/hardware/installation/guide/hig/HIGOVERV.html#wp1199764

See section - 10-Gigabit Ethernet Module Slots

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750e_3560e/hardware/installation/guide/hig/HIGINSTL.html#wpxref52139

See section - Installing Devices in the 10-Gigabit Ethernet Slots

----------------------------------------------------

Cores

Core switch 1 – Main Wiring Closet

Switch                   Model                                   SW Version         ROM                                     SW Image                

1                              WS-C4500X-32                   3.4.05.SG             ROM: 15.0(1r)SG10         CAT4500E-UNIVERSALK9-M                               

Core switch 2 – Main Wiring Closet

Switch                   Model                                   SW Version         ROM                                      SW Image                

1                              WS-C4500X-32                   3.4.05.SG             ROM: 15.0(1r)SG10         CAT4500E-UNIVERSALK9-M

The above each have 32 x Ten Gigabit Ethernet Interfaces

------------------------------------------------

Part Numbers

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/interfaces_modules/transceiver_modules/compatibility/matrix/10GE_Tx_Matrix.html

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/interfaces_modules/transceiver_modules/installation/note/78_15160.html

I believe the following may be required?

SFP-10G-SR

Cisco 10GBASE-SR SFP+ transceiver module for MMF, 850-nm wavelength

CVR-X2-SFP

TwinGig Converter Module

Minimum IOS Version:

Required                             Our Current version

WS-C3750E-24PD                             12.2(55)SE1                         15.0(2)SE6           

WS-C4500X-32                                   3.3.0SG                                 3.4.05.SG

Thanks for helping.

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The 4500x should not an issue as all the ports are 1/10G. So, in this case you simply unplug the SFP and you plug in SFP+. The challenge is going to be the 3750E, as it comes with 2 10Gig modules and it is not SFP based but rather X2 based which takes SC type of connector.  So in this case if you are connecting the 4500x to the 3750E direly you need to change your fiber patch cords from LC to LC to LC to SC. It is the same case if you are using a patch panel.

HTH

Hello Reza,

Appreciate the guidance.  I will do a little more research in our closet/patch panel.

So to confirm I would require the following:

3750e:
X2-10GB-SR's - 10GBASE-SR X2 transceiver module for MMF, 850-nm wavelength, SC duplex connector

Patch cables for the 3750e (Maybe?)

LC to SC

example:
https://www.tripplite.com/10gb-multimode-om3-lszh-fiber-patch-cable-50-125-lc-sc-aqua-10m-33-ft~N81610M/

4500x:
SFP-10G-SR-S - Cisco 10GBASE-SR SFP+ transceiver module for MMF, 850-nm wavelength

Thank you

Hi,

As Reza said you wouldn't find issues at the 4500 side.Now what you have at 3750 side is a X2 slot and you'll be looking for an Converter to convert that X2 interface to SFP. You have two type of converters as below.In simple terms Converter will give you the SFP slot and then you'll need to pick up the right SFP receiver for it.

look at the installation notes here gives you good information about OneX converters that you could use at the 3750 side.Also here is the SFP compatibility matrix.

I came across somewhere that both the TwinGig and OneX are supported on 3750E but in the past I had issues with one of them getting recognized on 3750s but really cant remember which model whether it OneX or TwinGig,It needed an IOS upgrade on top of my head.   

Data sheets are here for you to take a look at both   OneX  and TwinGig

Simply,both are X2 interface converters

TwinGig Converter (CVR-X2-SFP) convert your X2 interface to be one 10G SPF+ interface

OneX Converter (CVR-X2-SFP10G) convert your X2 interface to be two SFP interfaces

have a think which one suits you better,I may go with CVR-X2-SFP10G as it is already listed in the compatibility matrix(snapshot attached).Also Since you are specifically noted "hot plug"-however you'll be planning for an outage/connectivity loss at the 3750 side.

***Please rate all the useful posts***
-Prabath
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card