cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading 3750X Stack IOS (suggestions)

thefilmguy
Level 1
Level 1

I'm reading all sorts of problematic issues with upgrading the 3750X stack IOS on the internet. I have never performed this before and would like anyone'e suggestion on how I should do this and what I should be looking for. I will be upgrading from 12.2(53r)SE2 to 12.2.(55)SE8.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Bilal Nawaz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello, Very good idea, it is highly recommended image 12.2 55 SE
You can get the ios image, (.bin) and upload to flash on each switch in the stack.
For each switch member in stack you can do this to upload to switch
Copy tftp flash1
Copy tftp flash2
Copy tftp flash3
Etc....

To verify you can do
Show flash1
Show flash2
Show flash3

Once you have uploaded ensure you do the following command

Conf t
Boot system switch all flash:/imagename.bin
End
Copy run start

Check with 'show boot'

Then reload whole stack.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Bilal Nawaz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello, Very good idea, it is highly recommended image 12.2 55 SE
You can get the ios image, (.bin) and upload to flash on each switch in the stack.
For each switch member in stack you can do this to upload to switch
Copy tftp flash1
Copy tftp flash2
Copy tftp flash3
Etc....

To verify you can do
Show flash1
Show flash2
Show flash3

Once you have uploaded ensure you do the following command

Conf t
Boot system switch all flash:/imagename.bin
End
Copy run start

Check with 'show boot'

Then reload whole stack.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Let's say you have three 3750X in a stack.  OK? 

So before you even begin to push the IOS to your switch, you need to download the correct IOS for each member of your stack.  Make sure each member of your switch is found in the Supported Hardware list.

Download the "universal" TAR file.  Next, once you've downloaded the IOS, make sure you verify the MD5 hash value against the value found in the Cisco website.  The MD5 hash value must match. 

Make sure that all members of your switch stack have the same licenses and feature set.

Ok, now you've got the preparatory set, you do the actual command to push the IOS into your stack.  The command is very simple.  Remember, I presume that you have three switches in a stack. 

The command is:  archive download-sw /destination 1 /destination 2 /destination 3 tftp:///filename.tar

Using the simplified command above, this will instruct the switch to download the IOS from your TFTP server into the switch stack master's memory.  The "/destination X" means it will be pushed out to each member one-at-a-time.  The boot statement will also be changed so the stack will know what IOS to use. 

Hope this helps.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card