Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading 3850 switches

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi All

I need to upgrade some 3850-24XU-L switches, they hung the other day whereby they stopped forwarding traffic and all the lights were stuck on, I am guessing this is some kind of bug.

Last time I upgraded some 3850's they became unusable due to some bug.

The current IOS on the ones I want to upgrade is below

Switch Ports Model SW Version SW Image Mode
------ ----- ----- ---------- ---------- ----
* 1 38 WS-C3850-24XU 03.07.05.E cat3k_caa-universalk9 BUNDLE
2 38 WS-C3850-24XU 03.07.05.E cat3k_caa-universalk9 BUNDLE

What is the best most stable IOS version to put on these and also what is the best way to upgrade, via the boot system command or the software install command ?

Cheers

6 Replies 6

Jaderson Pessoa
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hello,

Suggested version to upgrade: Everest-16.6.5

Check this link to download: https://software.cisco.com/download/home/286285429/type/282046477/release/Everest-16.6.5?i=!pp

I suggest to you update it through CLI, because if you has any issue, you can see it from console. That GUI cant provide for you.

Regards.
Jaderson Pessoa
*** Rate All Helpful Responses ***

Hi
if its in bundle i always just set a boot statement save to the bootvar and reload using .bin files , if its in install mode i use software install file flash :

if you jump to a newer release like Everest denali etc make sure its in install mode first coming from those releases or switch will have issues with the microcode/bootloader upgrades and could be bricked anything after 16.3.5

xxxxxxxxx#sh boot
---------------------------
Switch 1
Current Boot Variables:
BOOT variable = flash:cat3k_caa-universalk9.SPA.03.06.07b.E.152-2.E7b.bin;flash:cat3k_caa-universalk9.SPA.03.06.06.E.152-2.E6.bin;

Boot Variables on next reload:
BOOT variable = flash:cat3k_caa-universalk9.SPA.03.06.07b.E.152-2.E7b.bin;flash:cat3k_caa-universalk9.SPA.03.06.06.E.152-2.E6.bin;
Allow Dev Key = yes
Manual Boot = no
Enable Break = no
xxxxxxxx1#sh run | i boot
boot-start-marker
boot system switch all flash:cat3k_caa-universalk9.SPA.03.06.07b.E.152-2.E7b.bin
boot system switch all flash:cat3k_caa-universalk9.SPA.03.06.06.E.152-2.E6.bin
boot-end-marker

Install switch
* 1 52 WS-C3650-48PS 16.3.7 CAT3K_CAA-UNIVERSALK9 INSTALL

Configuration register is 0x102

xxxxxxx#sh run | i boot sy
boot system switch all flash:packages.conf

You can convert from bundle to install easy enough anyway to be ready for the newer releases

1 Check switch is in bundle mode in show version * 1 52 WS-C3650-48PS 03.06.07b.E cat3k_caa-universalk9 BUNDLE
2 Clean the flash with software command - software clean file flash:
3 Check flash is cleaned old images are removed
4 Re-added original .bin 3.6.7b from USB to local flash - copy usbflash0:cat3k_caa-universalk9.SPA.03.06.07b.E.152-2.E7b.bin flash:
5 Expand the software - software expand file flash:cat3k_caa-universalk9.SPA.03.06.07b.E.152-2.E7b.bin
6 Set the bootvar to packages and save -- boot system flash:packages.conf
7 Confirm Boot is – show boot - BOOT variable = flash:packages.conf;
8 Save and Reload

Hi Mark

Thanks for the message, at the moment the switch is in Bundle mode running 03.07.05E

So are you saying I need to re run the same software that is on it now, but install it using the software expand and then boot using the packages.conf file  , So it this what converts it to Install mode?

Once I am on the newer versions then I can use the Bin file as normal?

cheers

Actually your good already for .bin upgrade as your in bundle mode , unless your deciding to jump to any package release after 16.3.5 like denali or everest , then you must convert first to install from bundle then upgrade to denali coming from 3.7.5 , these images have a specific release that states they must be in install mode first (not sure why its in the release notes though)

if your only jumping in same train say to 3.7.6 as example you can just do a standard upgrade .bin , set it in global config save check show bootvar and reload , no need to convert or go to install mode

Install mode =packages
bundles mode = .bin

Bundle switch
* 1 32 WS-C3850-24T 03.06.07b.E cat3k_caa-universalk9 BUNDLE

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx#sh run | i boot
boot-start-marker
boot system switch all flash:cat3k_caa-universalk9.SPA.03.06.07b.E.152-2.E7b.bin
boot system switch all flash:cat3k_caa-universalk9.SPA.03.06.06.E.152-2.E6.bin
boot-end-marker

###############################

One of my denali switches insall mode

* 1 52 WS-C3650-48PS 16.3.7 CAT3K_CAA-UNIVERSALK9 INSTALL

Configuration register is 0x102
#sh boot
Switch 1
Current Boot Variables:
BOOT variable = flash:packages.conf;

Boot Variables on next reload:
BOOT variable = flash:packages.conf;

##################################
it seems all the newer switches were receiving are coming with denali 16.3.7 and in install mode by default for 3/9ks campus anyway

the 1-8 options is only if your jumping from 3.7.5 to a 16.5 or higher new releases , i did it other week ,takes a good 30 minutes a switch with micro and bootloader upgrade included

Hi Mark

I will be looking to go to Everest 16.06.05, Can I do the .bin file upgrade to this from my current version?

cheers

Looks like you can go direct to Everest for that release from 3.x but it will make you go through to install mode in the upgrade as per the doc anyway , here is the exact release guide and whats steps to follow

You cannot boot Cisco IOS XE Denali 16.x.x or Cisco IOS XE Everest 16.x.x via TFTP for the first time with a Cisco IOS XE 3.xE boot loader. The Cisco IOS XE 3.xE boot loaders have a limitation, which prevents the booting of an image larger than 400MB via the TFTP server. Since Cisco IOS XE Denali 16.x.x and Cisco IOS XE Everest 16.x.x images are larger than 400MB, you must boot the image via flash.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3850/software/release/16-6/release_notes/ol-16-6-3850.html#pgfId-1110759

Upgrading the Switch Software

This section covers the following scenarios:

Automatic Boot Loader Upgrade
Automatic Microcode Upgrade
Upgrading from Cisco IOS XE 3.xE to Cisco IOS XE Denali 16.x.x, or Cisco IOS XE Everest 16.6.x in Install Mode
Upgrading from Cisco IOS XE 3.xE to Cisco IOS XE Denali 16.x.x, or Cisco IOS XE Everest 16.6.x in Bundle Mode
Upgrading from Cisco IOS XE Denali 16.x.x to Cisco IOS XE Everest 16.6.x in Install Mode
Upgrading or Downgrading from Cisco IOS XE Everest 16.6.x to a Cisco IOS XE 16.x.x Release in Install Mode
Downgrade from Cisco IOS XE 16.x.x to Cisco IOS XE 3.xE in Install Mode
Downgrade from Cisco IOS XE 16.x.x to Cisco IOS XE 3.xE in Bundle Mode
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card