Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading an IOS on SW 2960

I found a corrupt IOS, The switch is not booting properly. When i try to upgrade using XMODEM appears the following error:

switch:

switch:

switch: copy xmodem: flash:c2960-lanbase-mz.122-35.SE5.bin
Begin the Xmodem or Xmodem-1K transfer now...
CCCCCCCCCC           BB0BB0xmodem:: I/O error

Someone has a solution?

Thank you.

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<
2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

try this:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12.2_25_see/configuration/guide/swtrbl.html

nb. the boot command previously doesn't have a colon: after it. (Just in case you want to try it again). I know it isn't supposed to have an IOs on it, but the set command says it does...

regards

Ian

View solution in original post

Hi,

Make sure there's no IOS with the dir flash: command. If you find one, use the boot flash: command to boot it.

I believe on the 2960 switches, you can use the USB interface to connect a pendrive and load an IOS from there. It will be device named usb: I guess.

If there's no IOS and no USB available, you need to follow the below documentation to recover from this situation:

Recovering Catalyst Fixed Configuration Switches from a Corrupted or Missing Image

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_tech_note09186a0080169696.shtml

Best regards,

Andras

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

IAN WHITMORE
Level 4
Level 4

If you type "set" at the switch: prompt, do you get anything?

switch: set

?

Otherwise it could just be the flash is corrupt.

Thank you

I got the following information:

switch: set
?=
BOOT=c2960-lanbasek9-mz.122-46.SE.bin  *this ios was accidentally removed, and still appears*
CLEI_CODE_NUMBER=COM3F00BRC
MAC_ADDR=00:24:13:BA:B0:00
MODEL_NUM=WS-C2960-48TC-L
MODEL_REVISION_NUM=F0
MOTHERBOARD_ASSEMBLY_NUM=73-9835-09
MOTHERBOARD_REVISION_NUM=A0
MOTHERBOARD_SERIAL_NUM=FOC125025WN
POWER_SUPPLY_PART_NUM=341-0097-02
POWER_SUPPLY_SERIAL_NUM=DCA124488A8
SDM_TEMPLATE_ID=0
SWITCH_PRIORITY=1
SYSTEM_SERIAL_NUM=FOC1250W2Y0
TAN_NUM=800-26672-04
TAN_REVISION_NUMBER=A0
VERSION_ID=V04

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

OK. So you might not have space on the flash.

What happen if you type boot c2960-lanbasek9-mz.122-46.SE.bin

?

switch: boot:c2960-lanbasek9-mz.122-46.SE.bin
Unknown cmd: boot:c2960-lanbasek9-mz.122-46.SE.bin

There are not any IOS on the switch

how i can upgrade the IOS on this mode?

try this:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12.2_25_see/configuration/guide/swtrbl.html

nb. the boot command previously doesn't have a colon: after it. (Just in case you want to try it again). I know it isn't supposed to have an IOs on it, but the set command says it does...

regards

Ian

Thank you very much Ian...

Now i am able to upload a IOS.

Thanks!!!

Hi,

Make sure there's no IOS with the dir flash: command. If you find one, use the boot flash: command to boot it.

I believe on the 2960 switches, you can use the USB interface to connect a pendrive and load an IOS from there. It will be device named usb: I guess.

If there's no IOS and no USB available, you need to follow the below documentation to recover from this situation:

Recovering Catalyst Fixed Configuration Switches from a Corrupted or Missing Image

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_tech_note09186a0080169696.shtml

Best regards,

Andras

Thank youuu so muchhhh!!!! it works fine. These parts were the keys. It almost simultaneous...

The next example shows an Xmodem procedure on a 2955 with the use of HyperTerminal. The procedure is the same for any of the Catalyst fixed configuration switches that this document covers.

1. Issue the copy xmodem: flash:filename command on the switch.

Here is an example:

switch: copy xmodem: flash:c2955-i6q4l2-mz.121-13.EA1.bin
    Begin the Xmodem or Xmodem-1K transfer now...
    CCC
  2. From the top of the HyperTerminal window, choose Transfer > Send File.

glad its working for you...funny how we posted the same solution almost at the same time...

I know, i really appreciate your help.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card