cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading IOS for 6509 core switches

Eric R. Jones
Level 4
Level 4

Hello, I have been tasked with upgrading our core switches.

Currently we are at:

sho run = s72033-pk9s-mz.122-18.SXD7b.bin

sho ver = IOS (tm) s72033_rp Software (s72033_rp-PK9S-M), Version 12.2(18)SXD7b, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

I see nothing higher thant SXD7b except to move to SXF?.

Where on the CISCO site can I get an education on the naming conventions for IOS's, and how I decide which one to upgrade to.

I tried using a tool in software advisor that ou put a saved configuration in but it doesn't work.

I need to be able to match my current hardware settings with the correct IOS so I don't brick the core switches.

I just updated my resume but I'm in no hurry to see how dynamic I sound on paper.

Thanks

ej

Yokosuka Japan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Eric,

Have a look at this link.  It explains IOS naming scheme

http://www.cisco.com/web/about/security/intelligence/ios-ref.html#6

HTH

Reza

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In addtion to Reza's post -

SXF is old now. If you have a sup720 you should be looking at either SXH or SXI (SXI supports VSS and has more features than SXH). Couple of things you need to do -

1) check release notes for module support/features needed etc..

6500 SXH/SXI release notes

2) check bugtool for any major bugs that will affect anything you are intending to run. There will always be bugs but they may not be relevant to anything you need.

Jon

I pull down the correct IOS image; However, I did so after reading the

CISCO break down of how to read the image names and what everything meant.

I pullled the image that supposed to have all the tools I needed, SSH being the most important, and didn't have all the extra bells and whistles.

Unfortunately this image didn't have SSH and I had to use TELNET to access the switch and copy command to fix the issue.

The switch came up find and ran as it was supposed to but we just couldn't use SSH.

I resolved the problem but it took some time.

My work PC crashing on a SYSTEM/CONFIG file error didn't help the situation go any faster.

Of course if stuff didn't break then I would never learn the alternative ways to fix stuff.

ej

An image that has "k9" in it is capable of SSH

see example below:

s72033-advipservicesk9_wan-mz.122-33.SXI4a.bin

SXF is old now. If you have a sup720 you should be looking at either SXH or SXI (SXI supports VSS and has more features than SXH). C

Check out 12.2(33)SXJ.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card