cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

upgrading iOS images on multiple switches at the same time

itdAbbas
Level 1
Level 1

I erase/restore Cisco switches and update iOS images thereafter. I do this on a daily basis with 20-30 switches at a time operating on different computers and laptops using console cable.

I am trying to figure out and find any information or ideas that will help with doing the same process but instead of using a few computers or laptops is it possible to do it with one computer, or a server, or something else where I can do this process on multiple switches like let's say 100 switches at a time without moving from 1 computer to another?

Any help, or ideas will be appreciated and I am sure there are quite a few experts who do this and can share their knowledge and wisdom.

Thanks in advance.

5 Replies 5

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If I am understanding your question correctly it is that your present situation requires a computer for each switch so that you can have a console connection to erase/restore/update IOS images and that you would like to be able to have multiple console connections using a single device. The alternative you should look at is a terminal server. This would have multiple console connections on the single device. Perhaps this link would have helpful information

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/cloud-systems-management/terminal-services-gateways/index.html

HTH

Rick

Thanks, I will definitely take a look at this.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can automate using Python or Ansible : (test 1 or 2 device make sure the process works as expected before you role mass devices)

ansible as below :

https://github.com/colin-mccarthy/ansible_cisco_ios_upgrade

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thanks, I will definitely take a look at this. Although I am not sure I know how to use those programs as I am still barely new and learning on my own, but definitely will look and study more.

I should have some Python script some where, once i found i will post here...yes that is good, easy to process.

Welcome to automation world.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card