cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

upgrading iOS images on multiple switches at the same time

itdAbbas
Level 1
Level 1

I erase/restore Cisco switches and update iOS images thereafter. I do this on a daily basis with 20-30 switches at a time operating on different computers and laptops using console cable.

I am trying to figure out and find any information or ideas that will help with doing the same process but instead of using a few computers or laptops is it possible to do it with one computer, or a server, or something else where I can do this process on multiple switches like let's say 100 switches at a time without moving from 1 computer to another?

Any help, or ideas will be appreciated and I am sure there are quite a few experts who do this and can share their knowledge and wisdom.

Thanks in advance.

5 Replies 5

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If I am understanding your question correctly it is that your present situation requires a computer for each switch so that you can have a console connection to erase/restore/update IOS images and that you would like to be able to have multiple console connections using a single device. The alternative you should look at is a terminal server. This would have multiple console connections on the single device. Perhaps this link would have helpful information

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/cloud-systems-management/terminal-services-gateways/index.html

HTH

Rick

Thanks, I will definitely take a look at this.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can automate using Python or Ansible : (test 1 or 2 device make sure the process works as expected before you role mass devices)

ansible as below :

https://github.com/colin-mccarthy/ansible_cisco_ios_upgrade

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thanks, I will definitely take a look at this. Although I am not sure I know how to use those programs as I am still barely new and learning on my own, but definitely will look and study more.

I should have some Python script some where, once i found i will post here...yes that is good, easy to process.

Welcome to automation world.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card