Views
Helpful
Replies

upgrading old 2960 Cisco via TFTP error

Andrew White
Level 2
Level 2

Hello,

I've upgraded switches many times before but it's been a while.

I have a few old Cisco 2960s to remotely upgrade. I've used the TFTP server to upload the current bin file to it as a backup before I put the new one on, but I get this:

tftpsw1.PNG

From the TFTP server I see this:

tftpsw2.PNG

I've tried this from to other sites with these switches and get the same results.  There is plenty of bandwidth too and no network issues.

Could it be space?

The newer c2960-lanbasek9-mz.122-55.SE12.bin file is 9.595KB  here is the flash:

tftpsw3.PNG

That tells me there is 20MB free?

Any ideas?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The output on the switch of !.!.!. indicates that there is connectivity between the switch and the tftp server. This is confirmed by the messages from the tftp server which indicates multiple attempts to send the file. It is probably significant that the server indicates that after successful transmission of a block of data that the client terminates the transmission. And probably is significant, if I understand the post correctly, that attempts to load this file to multiple sites all experience the same failure. This leads me to suspect that there is some problem with the image file on the tftp server. I would suggest that you download a new image file from Cisco and replace the existing file that you have been trying to use.

If you want to investigate the problem with this file further I would suggest enabling debug for tftp and attempting the transfer again.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jaderson Pessoa
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello,

Yes, you have a 20MB free.

Solar winds step viewer

https://www.comparitech.com/net-admin/solarwinds-tftp-server-review/

Here other option:

1- Try using TFTPD32 software for TFTP

2- Check if there is any firewall issue or tftp application on the computer

3- Make sure your TFTP server is turned on.

4- Check the file extension, If possbile copy the exact file extension from TFTP server file and paste on the router.

Here other option: use a USB to copy it.

Regards

Jaderson Pessoa
*** Rate All Helpful Responses ***

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The output on the switch of !.!.!. indicates that there is connectivity between the switch and the tftp server. This is confirmed by the messages from the tftp server which indicates multiple attempts to send the file. It is probably significant that the server indicates that after successful transmission of a block of data that the client terminates the transmission. And probably is significant, if I understand the post correctly, that attempts to load this file to multiple sites all experience the same failure. This leads me to suspect that there is some problem with the image file on the tftp server. I would suggest that you download a new image file from Cisco and replace the existing file that you have been trying to use.

If you want to investigate the problem with this file further I would suggest enabling debug for tftp and attempting the transfer again.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
The "!.!" means packet drops.
Since the switch is running 12.2(58)SE, can you try rebooting the switch first?

I am glad that my response was helpful. Thank you for marking this question as solved. This will help other participants in the forum to identify discussions which have helpful information.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card