steven.geerts
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

we're using the following switches:

*    1 30    WS-C3750E-24TD     15.0(2)SE             C3750E-UNIVERSALK9-M    

2 30    WS-C3750X-24       15.0(2)SE             C3750E-UNIVERSALK9-M    

and what I want to do is the following:

We need different vlans for user sides but to the network it should be mapped to always the same VLAN.  This because users can have the same services on the network vlan but on the user side we need to use other VLANs becuase of different projects.

So what I have for example is that a device with a certain vlan 835 is plugged in a gb interface of the cisco and to the servers it needs to be mapped to VLAN 130.  For another device it can be that the device is using VLAN 35 but he needs to use the same vlan.  We don't want to reconfigure all the time the configuration of the cisco but have this mapping done by the cisco.  I found some information and checked out how to configure the private vlans.  But did didn't work.  Anybody has some more experience on this.  Maybe we need to have some extra license but don't have enough experience on this.

4 Replies 4

Hello Steven,

Its not clear what you are asking! - are you requiring  devices in different vlans to communicate?

res

Paul

Please don't forget to rate any posts that have been helpful.

Thanks.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi sorry for the explanation.

Yes eventually the user vlans (as I call it), because I'm those namings on different network devices (like ISAMs) should be able to communicate via the network vlan.

In DSL the users would have a vp/vc 8/35 with for example a vlan mapped to the network.  Another user could have vp/vc 0/35 with the same vlan mapped to the network.  For VDSL it's the same but there you have user vlans and network vlans.

So for ethernet I would like to have the same.  A device will have a trunk on his port configured, vlans 835, ... and those should be mapped to a vlan of where the servers are in.  Say another port is configured but here he uses vlan 35 as a vlan but to the network he's using the same vlan, they should be able to communicate.  The user vlans (only on the interface to the device) is actually not seen to in the network, but is there to devide the interface in multiple service.

an example

device a is using vlan 835 to the cisco where it should be mapped to vlan 100.  where for example a dhcp server is listing on vlan 100.  So device A gets an IP address from server in VLAN 100.

Device b can have other settings, say vlan 35 but to the network it should use vlan 100, so he gets an ip in the same network.

Hope this is more clear now.

So sorry Steven I still dont understand

res

Paul

Please don't forget to rate any posts that have been helpful.

Thanks.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

If you look at private vlan's I think this is the feature I need, but that didn't work or maybe i'm doing somehthing wrong.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_55_se/configuration/guide/swpvlan.html

But i don't think this the same because in that drawing you have vlan in vlan.  which is what i don't need.  What I need is that a device can use a different vlan on his side than what the servers are in.

For example we have a customer with a HGW with a specific vlan on ethernet, using vlan 835, but another hgw for another customer uses VLAN 35.  Both need to get an IP address on this from the same server in vlan 100.  The server has more functionallity than only providing dhcp (rd enviroment).  if HGW requests an ip address on vlan 835, the cisco should translate this to VLAN 100, the same for vlan 35.  It's only to the userside of the cisco that matters for the vlan and we can't change the configuration their.  so we're stuck on using 835 and 35 on the HGW, which is connected to the cisco.  So the port configuration on the cisco will have a vlan 835 or 35.  But I don't want to create 2 servers for this or have the server configured with those vlans as well.

Maybe it's just not possible and need to think of another solution

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card