Views
Helpful
Replies

Using ACL to block access

Mmiselo
Level 1
Level 1

Good day,

I have access-lists on my cisco router 2900 where some are attached to the crpypto maps for IPSec tunnels and one linked to the access-map o the line VTY.

So now I need to allow access from two specific IP's to a specific IP and I want to block anything else. Below are the rules that I configured:

ip access-list extended VM-SRV-MANAGEMENT
permit ip host 10.100.1.3 host 196.80.62.100
 permit ip host 10.100.0.3 host 196.80.62.100
 deny ip any host 196.80.62.100

The rules that I have added don't seem to be working as the 196.80.62.100 IP is still accessible from other source IP's other than the ones specified.

May you please advise if this is achievable and what rules must I add to add the restrictions.

Regards

Nelson

5 Replies 5

chlupmichal
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Nelson,

The ACL itself seems to be OK. Could you also provide output from configuration which bonds the ACL to the VTY? (I assume this ACL is supposed to limit remote access to the 2900 router, so remote access is possible only from IPs 10.100.1.3 & 10.100.0.3, am I right?).

Regardds

Michal

Edit - Didn't mean to reply to just your post. Sorry.

Good day,

I have applied the ACL to the interface for this to work. Thanks a lot for your assistance!

adammcleish
Level 1
Level 1

Just to double check, but have you applied this to the VTY lines?

access-class VM-SRV-MANAGEMENT in

Hi,

The ACL Rules seems ok, however you need to verify the below.

1. Direction of the ACL applied on the VTY Interface, it must be "IN"

2. If you have any NAT configuration needs to check with the IP you allowed

3. If you are using VRF and must be explicitly mentioned as " access-class XXX in vrf-also" otherwise acl will not work

4. access-class must be applied to all vty lines, most of cases it has been assigned to only "0 - 4"lines must apply to all applicable line and must include exec-timeout under vty otherwise vty session will not be closed and continue to use until the last available vty lines.

Regards

Ram

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card