Views
Helpful
Replies

VDC Question

hanwucisco
Level 1
Level 1

A typical topology,

2 7Ks at core, two 5Ks crossed connected to the 7ks. then, there are two extenders.

I want to created two VDCs on the 7Ks, let called it VDC A, representing zone Aand VDC B() representing zone B.

How can i extend the VDCs to 5Ks? For instance, can i have both zones A and B on both 5ks? if yes, how do you do that? On each of the 5Ks, create two VDCs, and using physical connections to ports on 7Ks that allocated to the VDCs seperatedly?

All I want is when connecting a devices to a port(say port 10) on 5K, it goes to VDC A on 7Ks, another port(say port 20) on 5K, it connects to VDC B on the 7Ks.

thanks,

Han

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

Yes, you can have one vlan with 10 ports going to one VDC and another vlan with 10 ports going to the other VDC.

Yes, you need separate portchannel for each VDC. Think of them as separate switches.

HTH

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes, that is possible.  You create a VPC and assign a blade or 2 to it.  Then connect a 5k to that a port on that VDC.

You create a second VDC and again assign a blade or 2 to it and connect the other 5k to it.  Think of VDCs as separate switches.  The only way you can get 2 VPCs on the same chassis to talk to each other is by physical connecting them together just like 2 different switches.

HTH

Thanks,

What if i dont want to a whole 5k switch to a VDC on the 7Ks? What if i want some of the ports on a 5K to VDC1 and some other ports on the same 5K to VDC2? Can i use 2 different vlans on the 5K? one vlan phyically connects to VDC1, the otehr to VDC2?

Also, on the 7Ks, how does VPC works for these two VDCs? do you need to create port channel connections seperately for each of the VDC pairs?

Han

Hi,

Yes, you can have one vlan with 10 ports going to one VDC and another vlan with 10 ports going to the other VDC.

Yes, you need separate portchannel for each VDC. Think of them as separate switches.

HTH

Thanks, I'll have it try later.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card