cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN Information across L3 network

ahmedaburaihan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone! I need to clarify myself about VLANS. I have a topology like below. 

My question is that, does the vlan information from HostA travel across the L3 network and reach the otherside to HostC? 

Because I tried this topology and the hosts are communicating with each other, although they are in the same vlans.

Can someone tell me, how the traffic is going from PC1 to PC3 in other side of the network with all infos like VLAN info.  

ahmedaburaihan_0-1712155818665.png

15 Replies 15

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I don't wish to appear overly critical, and certainly there's nothing wrong with experimentation to learn how networking works, but it seems you focus on how you believe a network should work, rather than how others trying to explain how networks do work.  I believe I was the first to note what appeared to be a major design issue.  Giuseppe and Rick went into much detail why your design was incorrect and what you need to do to correct.  I'm not surprised you're finding your network doesn't work as you expect it should.

I suggest you focus on what Giuseppe and Rick wrote, and if unclear, ask for clarity on things you don't (yet) understand.  Conversely, you probably don't need to explain what a router on a stick is to them.  ; )

I suspect the concept of subnets and VLANs isn't totally clear to you (yet); not just what they are, but why they are.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card