Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN Interface Utilization

O_Mueller
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone!

As the subject suggests I have a question regarding the speed configuration of a VLAN interface.

I first saw this yesterday after our monitoring system notified a high load on the interfaces.

The show interface vlanxx command displays a speed of 1000gb and there is no way to change this configuration.

Could anybody tell me if this matters? As I said this ist he first time I’ve seen this and I didn’t think a virual interface could have any speedlimits.

Kind regards,

Oliver.

1 Reply 1

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Oliver

You are correct that a vlan interface (since it is a virtual interface and not physical) can not have any real speed limit.

Your post suggests that perhaps you do not correctly understand the bandwidth parameter of an interface, since even on a physical interface configuring the bandwidth statement does not establish a speed limit. The bandwidth command is more of a description of the speed and does not control the speed of the interface.

The bandwidth parameter of an interface is used by some routing protocols like OSPF or EIGRP to calculate routing metrics, is used to calculate interface utilization by some network monitoring software (which is your case in this post). But it does not control the physical speed of the interface.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card