cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN is flapping

BilalButt62333
Level 1
Level 1

%SW_MATM-4-MACFLAP_NOTIF: Host c84f.86fc.0004 in VLAN 10 is flapping between port Gi1/0/28 and port Te1/1/1
%SW_MATM-4-MACFLAP_NOTIF: Host c84f.86fc.0004 in VLAN 1 is flapping between port Te1/1/1 and port Gi1/0/47

what could be the reason for this, also there was a loop in my network one switch was connected twice with a second switch, could this be the reason if not then what mitigation or how to resolve this 

8 Replies 8

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- If there is an accidental loop  then proper STP configurations should prevent a network meltdown, and blocking of involved ports immediately . here you find info about the mac address : https://macaddress.io/mac-address-lookup/A9RzlePm56 , not all observed mac address flapping events are related to network problems. Sometimes clustering solutions of hosts based on a mac address can lead to those messages too, or if wireless clients are hopping between access points (e.g)  , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

are there any Wireless in your network ?

yes there are wireless , the mac address that i mentioned above i think it's firewall mac address 

firewall mac address that not good
are you run ASA HA ??
if yes then check the split brain FW, meaning both FW is active status 

there are two firewalls in HA mode but not active-active, it's active-passive 

you may say it's sophos

you config it as active-passive but it work as active-active this why the MAC address is flapping between two FW. 
f you run ASA 
show failover <<- check the status 

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

also there was a loop in my network one switch was connected twice with a second switch,   - need you shed more information this, is this STP blocking ports ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello
If the mac address related to a vip address of say a  FHRP group (hsrp/vrrp...) then its possible what you see caused by both devices in the FHRP group  going into a active/active state, if so id check the physical connection between the two devices,

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card