cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Vlan or port prioritizing

npatel0011
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to prioritize certain vlans? I would to like prioritize 2 ports, since these are ATM ports. the lan is being congested for some reason. some devices are shuting down due to latency.. any ideas, so i can prioritze the traffic of the ports...?? thanks guys!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

On that series, QoS does support two ingress queues toward the fabric.  In theory, I believe you could prioritize certain ports and/or VLAN traffic, but I wouldn't recommend it, for two reasons.  First, the two queues are really to allow critical timing depending traffic priority, e.g. VoIP, and second, these queues are unlikely to congest except perhaps on the original generation 3560Gs with 52 gig ports.  Congestion is also possible on the 3560Gs with 24 gig ports.  It shouldn't be an issue on the 3560 with FE ports, or the -E or -X series.

Much more common on 3560s is congestion on an egress port.  3650 support 4 egress queues, although default buffer allocations often result in egress drops for bursty traffic, which might be mitigated with buffer tuning.  So, again, you could prioritize certain ports and/or VLAN traffic.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

It depends on the equipment.

3560 24 ports

Disclaimer

Liability Disclaimer

Posting

On that series, QoS does support two ingress queues toward the fabric.  In theory, I believe you could prioritize certain ports and/or VLAN traffic, but I wouldn't recommend it, for two reasons.  First, the two queues are really to allow critical timing depending traffic priority, e.g. VoIP, and second, these queues are unlikely to congest except perhaps on the original generation 3560Gs with 52 gig ports.  Congestion is also possible on the 3560Gs with 24 gig ports.  It shouldn't be an issue on the 3560 with FE ports, or the -E or -X series.

Much more common on 3560s is congestion on an egress port.  3650 support 4 egress queues, although default buffer allocations often result in egress drops for bursty traffic, which might be mitigated with buffer tuning.  So, again, you could prioritize certain ports and/or VLAN traffic.

Thanks Joseph! very helpful

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card