Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN Routing

rstevek
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I am configuring a Catalyst 3750-X switch.  I created a second VLAN (VLAN 3).  I assigned an IP address to the vlan3 interface (192.168.22.250).  I enabled IP routing, and enabled RIP.  I assigned a port to the VLAN and the vlan3 interface came up.  "show ip route" shows both 10.17.0.0 and 192.168.22.0 as directly connected.

There is a device connected to the VLAN 3 port with the IP address of 192.168.22.2.  When I have a laptop on VLAN 1, I can ping 192.168.22.250, but pings to 192.168.22.2 time out.  Why can't I ping the device on VLAN 3 from VLAN 1?

Did I miss a step here?

Thanks,

- Steve

16 Replies 16

Yep NT makes a good point too.

I was thinking or setting things up for the switch to layer 3 jsut in case there will be other VLANs (networks) in the future.

Chuck

The QOS marking is being done on the router, and it should be matching IP address already.  At least that's how I understood that our ISP was setting it up; I give the IP subnets, they match them for QOS.

And yes, there will be a third VLAN.  At this point I don't even have a due date for the router so I would just as soon have the routing handled by the switch.  We have vendors trying to set up equipment already.

Thanks,

- Steve

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card