cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Vlan Translations or Swaps

smithco64
Level 1
Level 1

Looking if anyone has a solution to this problem. I have a customer that refuses to change his VLAN number on his systems. I own his layer 3 SVI. I want to renumber the SVI as another customer on a target network I am migrating to owns it. What is a way that I can direct the other customer where he can keep his Vlan but go to the new VLAN layer 3 SVI.

1 Accepted Solution
4 Replies 4

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @smithco64 

Q-in-Q (double tagging) is another solution and can be considered for this scenario. With Q-in-Q tunneling, you encapsulate the customer's VLAN traffic within another VLAN tag, preserving the customer's VLAN number while transporting it over the network to the new SVI.

Q-in-Q allows the customer to retain their existing VLAN number, which can be important if they are unwilling or unable to change it. From the customer's perspective, there's no need to make any changes to their VLAN configurations. They can continue using their VLAN number as usual.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

How exactly would this be implemented if that customer trunked me 7 other vlans but I wanted to target this single one?

This worked on hardware. I tried it in a virtual lab that didn’t work but on real equipment that worked thank you!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card