Views
Helpful
Replies

Voice device connected to a voice vlan without interface vlan

getaway51
Level 2
Level 2

Hi,

I have a voice device. It connected to a voice vlan. But there is no "int vlan 10" in the config. However it is getting IP from vlan 1. When "sh mac address-table", it falls under vlan 2. But "sh ip arp", it falls under vlan 1.

May I know what is the logical explanation in this scenario?

interface GigabitEthernet5/0/1

switchport mode access
switchport nonegotiate
switchport voice vlan 10

interface Vlan1
ip address 10.1.1.3 255.255.255.192
ip helper-address 10.4.5.12

sh mac address-table

Vlan Mac Address Type Ports

1 6798.8bd4.40b0 STATIC Gi5/0/43
2 0090.8456.2674 STATIC Gi5/0/1

sh ip arp

Protocol Address Age (min) Hardware Addr Type Interface

Internet 10.4.3.14 2 6798.8bd4.40b0 ARPA Vlan1
Internet 10.4.3.12 1 0090.8456.2674 ARPA Vlan1

5 Replies 5

Hello,

post the full running configuration of the switch.

Hello

The reason why is that Switchports by default are assigned to vlan 1

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

But under "sh mac address-table", it falls under Vlan 2. But sh ip arp , is under vlan 1. Any reason?

Hello
How are the native vlans set up in your switches!

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

The original poster asks " But sh ip arp , is under vlan 1. Any reason?" I would begin my explanation by reminding us that a switch port can have a data vlan and a voice vlan. In this case the voice vlan is explicitly configured (vlan 10). In this case the data vlan is not explicitly configured and so it defaults to vlan 1. If the data vlan is vlan 1 then the arp entry is what we would expect, the mac address is associated with vlan 1. 

I do not have a good explanation why the show mac address-table seems to associate the mac with vlan 2.

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card