Views
Helpful
Replies

Voice vlan for IP phones

jinhoffoyc
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a very annoying problem here. The initial setup was done by a 3rd party company but no one knows about the details. When I initialize an IP phone, I always have to connect to the normal ‘access vlan’ port to get an IP from the DHCP server first. And once the configuration importing job is completed through web access, I need to move the cable connection to the ‘voice vlan’ port otherwise phones are not operating properly. *with the voice vlan ports, IP phones are not able to receive any IP addr. and access & voice vlan IDs are the same.

This is my first experience using ‘voice vlan’ command, so not too sure which part I have to start for troubleshooting though..

I appreciate your advice in advance!

Thank you!

14 Replies 14

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

A bit confused by what you describe.  Often VoIP phones are on dual (data/voice) VLAN access/edge ports, but your voice VLAN ports are only that?

Yes so what they set up was like this,

1. voice vlan ports for IP phones: switchport access vlan 1000 / switchport voice vlan 100 (vlan 1000 is for public internet)

2. Access vlan ports for IP phones: switchport access vlan 100

As I said the DHCP server is reachable only with ‘2’ and IP phone’s working when connecting to ‘1’ only

Thank you

Although the voice VLAN is the same for both ports, on port 1, voice frames are tagged but not so on port 2, a significant difference likely contributing to the issues you describe.  DHCP and/or the VoIP phones (and/or possibly other network configuration options) need to be configured for working with port types 1 and/or 2.  I.e., there may be more involved than the switch port configs, alone.

Possibly you can obtain a solution through these forums (the knowledge is here, along with many willing to help) but you might want to get a local contract network engineer to look at this.

Noted well thank you for your advice Joseph

Martin L
VIP
VIP

what is switchport config right now? Is there PC connected  switch voice port options should be 

switchport voice vlan {vlan-id | dot1p | untagged | none}

2 valn options (4 ways for voice) are well-explained in following article 

https://www.learncisco.net/courses/icomm-ccna-voice/cisco-uc-solution-maintenance/switch-configuration.html

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

I will copy and paste it here when I get it

thank you for the info

If the phones are Cisco and laptops/PCs are daisy chained off the phones, vlan 1000 is used for data, and vlan 100 is used for voice, the config should look like this for every port:

interface GigabitEthernetx/x

switchport access vlan 1000
switchport mode access
switchport voice vlan 100
spanning-tree portfast edge

HTH

It is one to one and nothing’s connected in the back of the IP phones

So, you are using one physical port for each phone and one physical port for each PC/laptop?

If this is the case, you are using twice as many ports as you need to.

HTH 

Thanks for your response

Yes but personally I would rather not using the port in the back of IP phones as it doesn’t support gigabit, too slow.

thank you

So, in that case, you just need a voice vlan for the phones and one data vlan, all configured as access ports.

Also, can you post the output of "sh run" from your switch?

HTH

"So, in that case, you just need a voice vlan for the phones and one data vlan, all configured as access ports."

Ditto and would simplify other supporting configuration needs.

I will try it.. as I don't have access the switch unfortuantely and the access port command info was from the NOC team.

They said DHCP is running from the core switch though, probably I need to ask them to look into it..

thank you anyway

* this is all I got

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/1
description *** IP Phone **
switchport mode access
srr-queue bandwidth share 1 30 35 5
priority-queue out
mls qos trust dscp
auto qos trust dscp
storm-control broadcast level 10.00
storm-control multicast level 15.00

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/2
switchport mode access
srr-queue bandwidth share 1 30 35 5
priority-queue out
mls qos trust dscp
auto qos trust dscp
storm-control broadcast level 10.00
storm-control multicast level 15.00

I think what @Reza Sharifi also had in mind would be:

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/1
description *** IP Phone **
switchport mode access
switchport access vlan 100

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/2
description *** Data only **
switchport mode access

The above would create untagged data and voice ports, with a VLAN for each.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card