Views
Helpful
Replies

VOIP Phones Holding Data VLAN ip

declan.dillon
Level 1
Level 1

Good day,

We have an issue here onsite where the VOIP phones leases aren't being 'released' back into the available pool once the phone flips over to the voice vlan.

They show in the scope as 'Txxxxxx' and due to the site having so many phones the ip capacity is exceeded.

We have 2 DHCP servers for each site, and they are setup with the same IP ranges (exclusions on each to permit 50/50 load balance).

The IP Helper is configured to take into account more than one DHCP server (they are at a remote site).

I don't have tacacs access to the configs am afraid so a pretty generalist question with some hope for a few pointers.

Thanks in advance.

D

4 Replies 4

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

You could try tweaking down your lease length; that should free up the leases eventually unless you frequently rebooot everything such that all phones, PC and everything get new addresses at once...

Otherwise if you really don't have the overhead, you may want to try updating your phone firmware. Some versions are more prone to this than others, and it's something you see causing problems with MAC based port-security fairly regularly.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Thanks Aaron, appreciate the response, will ask the phone vendor/supplier if they are all at the same revision level, some sites are ok, others not.

R

D

Is this Cisco VOIP? Or other?

Certainly if it just affects some sites I'd be looking at consistency of config as well as firmware.

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

I believe avaya, thanks will check with vendor.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card