cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VoIP switches

lcaruso
Level 6
Level 6

I have a client ready to upgrade to all new Cisco switches. They have fewer than 200 network devices, probably 150. The only question is 2960S’s or 3750’s (they might need to stack later). This decision might be based on the possibility of them going to VoIP in the future. They say they might. Wouldn’t we need layer 3 switches for VoIP? Thanks.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

jmunoz19
Level 4
Level 4

No, you don't particularly need layer 3 switches for VoIP.  You would want to setup a voice VLAN that's dedicated to the phones but it wouldn't really be different from any other VLAN in the environment.  Whatever is doing layer 3 now can do the routing for the new voice VLAN.

View solution in original post

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I agree with the previous post.  You don't need a Layer 3 to do VoIP.  You will need a Layer 3 appliance to route between different VLANs.  The Layer 3 device could be a router (1800 ISR1 or 1900 ISR2) would be affordable.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

jmunoz19
Level 4
Level 4

No, you don't particularly need layer 3 switches for VoIP.  You would want to setup a voice VLAN that's dedicated to the phones but it wouldn't really be different from any other VLAN in the environment.  Whatever is doing layer 3 now can do the routing for the new voice VLAN.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I agree with the previous post.  You don't need a Layer 3 to do VoIP.  You will need a Layer 3 appliance to route between different VLANs.  The Layer 3 device could be a router (1800 ISR1 or 1900 ISR2) would be affordable.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card