Views
Helpful
Replies

vPC Cisco Nexus

rahul.sollapure
Level 1
Level 1

Hi There, 

We are planning for a back to back vPC between 5k (Downstream) and 9k (Upstream), with this we have some physical constraints and we are unable to have the same physical connectivity

The query is on N9K1 we have connection coming to downstream N5K1 and this is of 40G, where as on N9K2 we have 2*10G bundled connecting to downstream N5K2

Could you please suggest, will this setup work? I understand that the bandwidth needs to be same on both sides, if this setup doesn't work, then if we add 2 more 10G interfaces on N9K2 connecting to N5K2 making it total of 40G, does that work?

Regards,

Rahul 

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Rahul,

So, you are trying to bundle a 40 gig and 4 10 Gig together to build a Portchannel?  If yes, theoretically, 4x10 is = to 1 40Gig. I have never done it before, but if you have the optics and the cables, it maybe worth a try.

HTH

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As per the post you have mentioned physical contrains.

Is this Optic constrain ? or port constrain ?

The capacity design equal line speed was designed based on the Failure scenario where other switches can able to handle the traffic in the path if failure occurs.

So always make sure both the side have same capacity

20GB both the side

or 40GB  both the side.

I do not see any issue with your solution.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Sergiu.Daniluk
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @rahul.sollapure 

If I understand correctly, you want to have something like this: 

vpc.png

if this is what you want to do, then the answer is: no, you cannot configure this. It's the same as trying to bundle one one switch, 1x 40G link and 1x (or multiple) 10G links in the same port channel. This will not work.

Solution is to use same type of ports on both sides.

Hope it helps.

Stay safe,

Sergiu

Hello

@rahul.sollapure wrote:

The query is on N9K1 we have connection coming to downstream N5K1 and this is of 40G, where as on N9K2 we have 2*10G bundled connecting to downstream N5K2

Could you please suggest, will this setup work?

I have never done this, My thinking is it won’t work when you combine the two into a vpc because you’ll probably receive a type 1 inconsistency error for that vpc due to link speed of the port-channel

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card