cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

vPC, HSRP, DHCP clients get DHCP, but Cannot Ping Gateway. Nexus 9k's

MT117
Level 1
Level 1

Nexus 9k's in vPC, using HSRP for routing. The DHCP Client gets a proper address, but cannot communicate. Cannot ping the gateway at all. But if you set the same address as static, it works. DHCP Relay is configured. I set up a mock Domain that mimics my production domain. Everything works just fine but DHCP Communication issues. Thoughts? 

13 Replies 13

are you run ant IP guard or DHCP snooping ?

Neither. 

DHCP server send the Default GW to Client as VIP of HSRP or the IP of one Peer ?
make sure that the DHCP server have config the right default GW.

VIP of HSRP. I made sure it was correct. Cannot ping it the gateway at all.

Now, what the different between assign static IP and GW in client and assign dynamic via DHCP ?
via DHCP the client Mac learn during the DHCP process, 
I think the client connect to access SW and Access SW connect via PO to both NSK HSRP,
check the PO status it must be run and both member port must be pending.
I think one is suspend

Do you check the PO ?
also share the
show vpc brief 

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Is the DHCP server on the 9k or is it something else? If it is on the 9k can you post that part of the configuration?

On a computer that has obtained its IP using DHCP can you post the output of these commands

ipconfig
arp -a
HTH

Rick

Windows 2019 is the DHCP server. 

This is the client. Cannot ping the gateway or any of the Nexus switchesThis is the client. Cannot ping the gateway or any of the Nexus switchesThis is from the DHCP server. It is 100% Fine and can access resources.This is from the DHCP server. It is 100% Fine and can access resources.

I am puzzled about the output that you posted. What device is 10.1.7.1 and what device is 10.1.1.68. Also can you clarify what mask is used for this subnet?

HTH

Rick

Hello

@MT117 wrote:

Nexus 9k's in vPC, using HSRP for routing. The DHCP Client gets a proper address, but cannot communicate. Cannot ping the gateway at all. But if you set the same address as static, it works. DHCP Relay is configured. I set up a mock Domain that mimics my production domain. Everything works just fine but DHCP Communication issues. Thoughts? 

Is this all clients or just the one  and what kind of host is it?

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

All clients. The are Windows clients on a Windows Server 2019 DHCP Server.

Hello,

odd indeed. I seem to recall somewhere that in VPC/HSRP environments, it is recommended to configure the peer-gateway command on both vPC peer switches. Not sure if that makes a difference in your specific case...

Hello

@MT117 wrote:
. The are Windows clients on a Windows Server 2019 DHCP Server.

As a test can you do this on a single host pc>
clear down the ip stack of its NIC and refresh its winsock. reboot the host and test again

cmd
netsh interace ipv4 reset reset.log
netsh winsock reset rest.log

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card