cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Why does pressing Ctrl+Shift-6 interrupt a command or IOS?

solc
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I would like to hear your opinion.

I'm just learnig about Cisco switches and routers, and IOS (Internetwork Operating System) commands.

There I learned that "to abort DNS lookups, traceroutes, pings, or to interrupt an IOS process, use Ctrl-Shift-6".

Why did Cisco assign Ctrl-Shift-6 to abort and interrupt?

I think Ctrl-Shift-6 sends a control code [30], which is "Record Separator" in ASCII.

Please give me a convincing reason. (To remember the keyboard shortcut)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

It is not that Ctrl-Shift-6 has been decided on by Cisco, rather the particular terminal emulator you are using has that as the shortcut for sending the 'break' terminal escape character. For instance minicom under linux uses Ctrl-X F for the same function.

cheers,

Seb.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

It is not that Ctrl-Shift-6 has been decided on by Cisco, rather the particular terminal emulator you are using has that as the shortcut for sending the 'break' terminal escape character. For instance minicom under linux uses Ctrl-X F for the same function.

cheers,

Seb.

I understand.

On certain terminals, you use Ctrl+^ (on US keyboards, you can type ^ with Shift + 6) to send a character with character code 30. I thought that the character codes 0-27 are assigned to other keyboard shortcuts, so I thought that the extra character code 30 was used.

Thank you very much.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card