vPC domain id                   : 1  
Peer status                     : peer adjacency formed ok     
vPC keep-alive status           : peer is alive                
Configuration consistency status: success
vPC role                        : primary, operational secondary
Number of vPCs configured       : 196
Peer Gateway                    : Disabled
Dual-active excluded VLANs      : -

I'm actually about to upgrade the code on these 5020s, so my questions are this:

A) Operational secondary? Is this telling me that while it is designated primary, it currently is not? My role priority on this is 110, the other end is 120. Reason for this?

B) If I upgrade (I have dual homed FEX modules), the correct procedure is to upgrade the primary first: Would it be this 5020 that is the current operational secondary, or the operational primary 5020 that is designated as the secondary?

Thanks.

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Ryan,

A) Operational secondary? Is this telling me that while it is designated  primary, it currently is not? My role priority on this is 110, the  other end is 120. Reason for this?

For what ever reason the 5k with priority 110 has gone down and the 5k with 120 has taken over.  So, now the old primary is the operational secondary.

Regarding the upgrade:

If all your devices are dual homed to both 5ks using vPC, you could do the primary first or secondary. See topology in the link:

From the config guide:

Log in to the first Cisco Nexus 5000 Series  switch. It is recommended that you log in to the console port. In vPC  topologies, the first upgrade can be performed on either the primary or  secondary switch in the topology

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/nexus5000/sw/upgrade/503_N1_1/n5k_upgrade_downgrade_503.html

HTH

rawatsandeep
Level 1
Level 1

Recommendation is to start upgrade on vpc operational primary first, in your case it would be your other peer.Operational primay upgrades the fex.

There are few best practices that you should take care..

Autorecovery configured.
If you have vpc with upstream 7k , then spanning tree port type should be changed from network to normal before upgrade.

And vpc roles are non preemptive, can only be changed by reloading or flapping peer link along with changing role priorities manually.

Hope that helps.

HTH
Sandeep.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card