Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN expectation

korbenda11as
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Anyone, Im just curious when using VPN when connecting with my organization's network, I am expecting that I will have better connection in terms of speed performance. However, it is the reverse, is this really what to expect? or should my connection be better?

Regards,

Korben

4 Replies 4

manish arora
Level 6
Level 6

Hi

The speed/bandwidth of the path between two endpoints is the slowest link in that path. So, if the VPN server connection to a site A is 100mbps and your home network is at 10 Mbps then when you are connecting to that site A through VPN you will only get 10 or a little less Mbps in speed as that's the slowest link on that path.

Manish

Thanks Manish,

That means, no matter how fast your VPN server connection to the site, it will not help since performance will still depend on you connection speed, wherein most of the connection is coming from native internet which is most likely slow?

Can you comment on this?

Yes, the path speed will always be the slowest link. I myself use my VPN with RDP to company desktop if I need to down load something since company have 1 gig connection. But then if I am pulling data from Internet and that server have 10 Mbps connection then all I will get is 10. Also, if you call your ISP and tell them that you have a 10mpbs connection but you are getting only 256 kbps to some site then they will answer that try our FTP server cuz we provide that Soren in our administered network.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Hi

Are you talking about an IPSEC VPN tunnel?

If so don't forget that VPN is adding an overhead of about 58 bytes to every packet. This in turn therefore is consuming bandwidth.

There is also a performance hit on the router as it encrypts/decrypts packets.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk827/tk369/technologies_white_paper09186a00800d6979.shtml

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card