cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VPN routing

gamercoar
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry in advance if I'm not asking this in the right area. Just point me to where I should post it if this is not the right area.

I have 3 Cisco ASA 5510's in my company's future network configuration, and in addition to being firewalls, they're also acting as routers for my internal networks. I have EIGRP set up on all 3, and they're configured to allow static and connected routes amongst themselves.

Below is a general idea of my company's network design/layout. Yes, I know HP switches are listed. I'm working on getting Cisco replacements.

netdesign.png

Currently, LCFP01 (a bandwidth aggregator from FatPipe Networks, Inc.) sends all VPN traffic to LCFW03. I don't yet have the right licenses for LCFW01 and LCFW02 to support VPN clustering, so I had put static routes on LCFW01 and LCFW02 to point to LCFW03, the problem I'm running in to now is that those static routes are shared to LCFW03, and LCFW03 believes that it should send the traffic to either LCFW01 or LCFW02. How can I fix this, short of having the correct license to do VPN clustering?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Abzal
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

Why don't you put static route to VPN subnet just on LCFW03 instead of LCFW01 and LCFW02? Then redistribute it to LCFW01/LCFW02 as you are already running EIGRP between them.

Hope it will help.

Best regards,
Abzal

Best regards,
Abzal

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Abzal
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

Why don't you put static route to VPN subnet just on LCFW03 instead of LCFW01 and LCFW02? Then redistribute it to LCFW01/LCFW02 as you are already running EIGRP between them.

Hope it will help.

Best regards,
Abzal

Best regards,
Abzal

Thanks. This gave me the idea to check my company's current firewall for how the routing entry existed, and determined that this is a system-generated static entry. Since I'm already set up for EIGRP sharing static and connected networks on the ASAs, and I'm allowing traffic from all internal networks to pass through (different issue, quite the pain to set up when you're learning the device as you go), I don't think I'll have any problems.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card