cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VRF in Nexus OS

ncowger
Level 1
Level 1

I have a pair of nexus 7009s that are my core switches I just added an additional VRF to them so that I can segment a couple VLANs.  I have it working fine, I was just confused about one of the commands, perhaps someone can enlighten me.  At first, I couldn't get static routes working. 

Having only used IOS before for VRFs, I used this command (which is similar to the IOS command)

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 172.28.0.5 vrf SecureServer

When that didn't work, I found the following which does work

vrf context SecureServers

ip route 0.0.0.0/0 172.28.0.5

Can someone explain to me why the first is there and what does it do?  I looked it up in the command reference, which doesn't list "vrf" as an option to the "ip route" command. 

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/datacenter/sw/6_x/nx-os/unicast/command/reference/l3_cmds_i.html#wp1556608

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Nexus OS is different from the traditional IOS you are used to.  With Nexus, you enter the vrf and than configure the IP route etc... you need.  It is the same for mgmt interface.  The context is called management

vrf context management

ip route x.x.x.x

HTH

Yes I know. So what does the first command do?

Aabed Khalifa
Level 1
Level 1

Hello ncowger ,

I  am planning to have similar change recently on our DC Nexus switches (7K as well ) , my plan was to use the command

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 172.28.0.5 vrf SecureServer

so it's like message for me not to use it

what IOS are using ? and have you experienced any issue with NX regarding VRF's  ?

We are currently on 6.1 (3) we haven't seen any issues using VRFs though I've just done a little bit of testing.  I would say it works as expected. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card