cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

vrf-lite with dynamic protocols

sblavanya
Level 1
Level 1

we have vrf-lite with static routes for route leaking . works fine.  obviously for every network/server access from global to VRF, i had to add a seperate static route. administering this is a big issue. I also have a requirement to build another VRF-lite solution between a remote location and datacenter. They are multiple layer 3 hops away from them. At present there is no MPLS, and we wanted to explore for options..

Location A (VRF RED)------multiple layer 3 hops----- Location B (VRF RED)...

What is the best way to accomplish this without MPLS PE/CE routers? I cant extend dot1q network end to end and create sub interface for each VRF. I was reading about constructing a GRE tunnel and running VRF-lite over that with a dynamic routing protocol like OSPF/EIGRP ? If not can i run a point to point IBGP network between the locations to exchange VRF instance over BGP ?

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

I had a customer requirement about 8 months ago, roughly the same kind of requirement.  No major changes allowed, run over the existing IP network with minimal impact.

I implemented 2 GRE tunnesl from point-to-point, using the in place IP network, running a VRF inside the tunnel and using EIGRP for 1 tunnel, and RIP for the other.  In one of the tunnels they wanted traffic from end to end encrypted - no issue.

So long story short - GRE with a VRF will get the job done, no major config requirements.

HTH>

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

I had a customer requirement about 8 months ago, roughly the same kind of requirement.  No major changes allowed, run over the existing IP network with minimal impact.

I implemented 2 GRE tunnesl from point-to-point, using the in place IP network, running a VRF inside the tunnel and using EIGRP for 1 tunnel, and RIP for the other.  In one of the tunnels they wanted traffic from end to end encrypted - no issue.

So long story short - GRE with a VRF will get the job done, no major config requirements.

HTH>

Thanks Andrew.. Ill give it a shot and get back...

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card