Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VSS configuration with redundant sup engines on Cisco 4507-E switches

Hi All,

we've two 4507-E switches each with two redundant sup engines (7-E) installed and we need to configure VSS between these two 4507-E switches. please kindly advise on it.

BR

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

So, the first question is:

Are these switches currently in production?

If yes, converting to VSS will cause extensive downtime for the end devices, so you would need a maintenance window to perform this task?

HTH

Hi Reza,

one of them is fully configured and working but the other one is new, doesn't have any configurations.

are there any issues for the VSS configuration since each switches got two supervisor engines installed.

BR 

Hi,

I have never used quad sup VSS and not sure if it works as good as one sup per chassis.

Here is document that discuss quad sup deployment.

I would recommend doing extensive testing before deploying quad sups, as the process is more complicated than using one sup per chassis. 

I personally feel comfortable using one sup per chassis, but that is maybe because I have not tested the quad sup scenario.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/15-1-2/XE_340/configuration/guide/config/vss.html#wp1204229

HTH

while trying to configure the VSS domain on my 4507 on which sup 7E is installed.  the switch notifies that this command is unrecognized. please help on that

switch(config)# switch virtual domain 100

% Unrecognized command

BR

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card