Views
Helpful
Replies

VSS configuration

waqas gondal
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I currently have 2 4500X switches current independent with a trunk link between them in production. I want to configure them for a VSS and I have a couple questions.

1. What will happen to the existing configuration of both switches? Will it all be wiped out or will it just be wiped on the standby switch?

2. What happens to the management port? Do they share the same IP address or do I need to configure one for each port? 

3. What are the best practices I need to be aware of when doing the VSS configuration?

Thanks,

Waqas

8 Replies 8

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Waqas,

The below link can help you.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-6500-virtual-switching-system-1440/109573-vss-migration.html

HTH

Regards

Inayath

Will this documentation be valid for the 4500X switches as well?

Waqas,

Please find below in-depth detail on how to build the VSS on 4500 this will help you if you are going for clean installation.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/124626/virtual-switching-system-vss-configuration-cisco-4500-series-switches

Regards

Inayath

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1. What will happen to the existing configuration of both switches? Will it all be wiped out or will it just be wiped on the standby switch?

To minimize confusion, I'd recommend a clean config.  

2. What happens to the management port? Do they share the same IP address or do I need to configure one for each port? 

Both will share the same IP address.

Hi Leo,

Are you suggesting I wipe the config of both switches prior to doing the VSS?

Thanks,

Waqas

Are you suggesting I wipe the config of both switches prior to doing the VSS?

No.  I recommend wiping the config of the SECOND unit.  Bring it up as a VSS primary unit.  Once the configs are confirmed to be working convert the other unit as a member of the VSS pair. 

Have a look at this: Easy VSS.  I am not sure if 4500X will/can support Easy VSS.

Hi Leo,

I'm a little confused. Why would you bring up the secondary switch as the VSS primary? Does this mean that the other switch can become primary after they have both been virtualized?

Also how would that look for the config?

Wouldn't the secondary unit show it's interfaces as Te1/0/X instead of Te2/0/X

Why would you bring up the secondary switch as the VSS primary?

So both switches don't go down while configuration is being ironed out. 

Wouldn't the secondary unit show it's interfaces as Te1/0/X instead of Te2/0/X

Ok, so if the 2nd unit was going to be the secondary then wipe the config of the 1st unit and configure as primary.  Once the config is ironed out then convert the 2nd unit into the secondary.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card